Topher's Breakfast Cereal Guide

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Topher's Breakfast Cereal Guide

Post by Kitty »

I like this site, which takes a look at many (many) breakfast cereals that have come and gone through the decades (and sometimes still exist!). It gives interesting information on the characters and mascots for each cereal. :) And if you know me at all, I had LOTS of fun reading the whole entire site when I first discovered it eons ago! By the way, I wanted to add that this is also a book, so that's why this is in this section!! It's called The Great American Cereal Guide. You can get it secondhand on Amazon.
http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Topher's Breakfast Cereal Guide

Post by donnie »

You and that cereal! :lol: Well, I have to admit, I'm a cereal brand junkie, too. That was one of my favorite things to do as a kid, exploring different cereals. I don't eat them now, as most of them—scratch, that—almost all of them are horrible sugar bombs. Still fun to look at, though.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: hahaha yes, I rarely eat cereal now that I realize how bad it is for you. I can't enjoy it because I feel guilty. The history is very interesting, though. I love learning about characters and mascots that people have created.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

The commercials on TV I liked best were those for Luckie charms—though I didn't like the taste of the cereal that much. And Sugar Pops were all...air. Cap'n Crunch was my thing. I probably ingested 2.8 metric tons of Cap'n Crunch. :roll:

I noticed in the character voting section that the winner was "Big Yella." :?: Who's Big Yella :?:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well, I didn't know, either, so I took the liberty of looking it up for you! Apparently his picture is at the top of the page, and he was the mascot of Corn Pops. I'll post a commercial in the commercial section. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Saw it—thanks!

Like I say, those Sugar Corn Pops...all air. Big Yella would need a spoon that big to get a satisfying portion. They'd all float on the surface of the milk. Cap'n Crunch would sink and make delicious gooey mess.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I was in Publix today and saw that one of the cereals advertised a toy in the box!!! Rarity nowadays. I didn't get it, though. I opted for Cocoa Puffs, because, ya know, I'm coocoo and everything.
Attachments
IMG_20171113_113424567~01.jpg
IMG_20171113_113424567~01.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 4818 times

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Starch and sugar are two of my mortal enemies.

When I was a kid we ate the big Shredded Wheat not the little spoon size. Mom never bought any of the sugary crapola cereals, not that I can remember anyway. And Wheat Chex remember those quite well and puffed wheat.

I remember those submarines that were powered by baking soda and the Sea Monkeys, but on second thought you got those off the back page of a comic book.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 am
the Sea Monkeys, but on second thought you got those off the back page of a comic book.
My brother had those!

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 am
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 am
the Sea Monkeys, but on second thought you got those off the back page of a comic book.
My brother had those!
Oh the lucky fellow. My mom would never let me send for Sea Monkeys.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!