Film Company Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Film Company Ads

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am
It's funny, that headline doesn't seem to be posed as a question. It's more like 'oh, boy! Are you in on the Florence Turner money!!'
What's even funnier is I didn't notice there was no question mark there. :lol: I wonder if they meant it that way.
Kitty wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am
Can you imagine going to the movie to see multiple shorts (with big actors in them) as well as the feature film? The closest thing that I've ever seen as shorts before the film are those Pixar shorts. Have you ever gone to the movies and seen cartoons or other shorts before the movies?
No, I don't remember there ever being anything but the main feature. But I know the accompanying shorts was standard practice in the past. I kind of like the idea. :) And if you go back far enough, didn't they even incorporate live acts, also, like vaudeville? Now that would really be cool

I imagine that practice ended because of the length of feature films. A lot of the films are so long now, if you had a setup like that, you'd be in the theatre all day. (I guess—I don't go to movies.)

By the way, did you notice how Victorian looking that ad is? It looks more 1890's than 1916.

Kitty

Re: Film Company Ads

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:39 pm
By the way, did you notice how Victorian looking that ad is? It looks more 1890's than 1916.
It looks more stage rather than film. I think that's why. And, yes, imagine having a live act preceding the film!

These are in 5 reels. I think a reel is about 11 mins, so that would bring these films just under an hour.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)