Antique Books

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Wed May 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Edit: I found out that the pictures are printed on vellum paper.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm

What is vellum, exactly? Kind of like a textured paper? The photography is especially beautiful.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

donnie wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm
What is vellum, exactly? Kind of like a textured paper? The photography is especially beautiful.
From watching videos and seeing pictures of vellum, I'm unconvinced that this is not silk. I still am unsure as to what vellum is really, but it seems to be stiffer stuff compared to this. I will get back to you on this super important matter. 😆 :lol: here is the wiki page for vellum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellum
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 pm

It seems from the article that, strictly speaking, vellum is animal skin, rather than paper. But I remember being vaguely aware of something like a fine grade of stationery paper being sold by that name - in boxes maybe. I must be thinking of the paper definition of the word mentioned toward the end of the article. Maybe that's the sense it is used in for the photos in the program.

Hey, vellum is a serious matter! :)