Book Reading

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Book Reading

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:53 am
Here are the three you mentioned you didn't remember.

Thanks for the links. I think I may be interested in reading The Daughter of Fife soon. I'm still in Penrod now. Speaking of which...
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm
I think I may be interested in reading The Daughter of Fife soon.
The book is soooooo good, but word of warning: you'll have to get used to the vernacular, as much of the dialogue is written in Scottish dialect/accent. It is a beautiful story, though, full of strong characters and so worth the read.

Referring to Penrod:
► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

“Yay” in Pernod

I’ve noticed the characters using this word frequently with
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Re: "Yay!"
donnie wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:10 am
Do you remember noticing this when you read it?
Definitely! They use it to greet each other, as you said, and they also use it to mean "Yeah, right!!" in a sarcastic fashion. Those kids are strange. 😆
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've finally finished Penrod. I so much enjoyed this book. :D (Well, aside from the unfortunate aspects commented on earlier; that's a flaw in the book, and not a minor one. :? ) The funniest part of all was
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:13 pm
I've finally finished Penrod. I so much enjoyed this book.....
► Show Spoiler
"Yay!" I'm glad that you liked it!!

I had to go back to the book to refresh my memory: Idk about the funniest part, more weird, but the part where they were putting together their concoction so they could play "Drug Store". Then Maurice drank so much and didn't even get sick. It was funny the way Tarkington wrote poor Duke's reaction to the medicine, though.

"That was the spark. They acted immediately; and a minute later Duke, released from custody with a competent potion of the smallpox medicine inside him, settled conclusively their doubts concerning its effect. The patient animal, accustomed to expect the worst at all times, walked out of the door, shaking his head with an air of considerable annoyance, opening and closing his mouth with singular energy—and so repeatedly that they began to count the number of times he did it. Sam thought it was thirty-nine times, but Penrod had counted forty-one before other and more striking symptoms appeared. All things come from Mother Earth and must return—Duke restored much at this time. Afterward, he ate heartily of grass; and then, over his shoulder, he bent upon his master one inscrutable look and departed feebly to the front yard." The part in bold was my favorite line of the section.

And, as you said, a lot of the enjoyment of the story comes from his descriptions. The description of Georgie Bassett as Best Boy In Town and Penrod being Worst Boy In Town is just hysterical. It gives the characters a distinct personality, whereas I think many other writers would have made them flat and boring.

All things come from Mother Earth and must return—Duke restored much at this time. Afterward, he ate heartily of grass; and then, over his shoulder, he bent upon his master one inscrutable look and departed feebly to the front yard.
donnie wrote:
I enjoyed seeing the stills from the movie in the review, but you know, thinking about it, I'm doubting how successfully this would have transferred to film. At first, the story would seem to be a natural for a screen version, but when you think about it, so much of the humor comes from Tarkington's manner of description. And there's a lot in the way he builds up to the climactic events that I'm not sure would be possible to capture in a screen play. What do you think?
I'm willing to bet that the situations in the book aren't really super close to the ones in the movies, as usual. I'll speculate that it's more a little rascals type film. But I have no idea, really! :lol: And, yes, it's Tarkington's endearing description into a little boy like Penrod's mind that makes it a fun to read for the most part.

donnie wrote:
Now I'm keen to read the next one. :)
Fantastic! I read some reviews of Penrod on Goodread, and it looks like some people don't like the second one as much as they like the first one (There is also a lot of shock about the racism in the books, as is to be expected) but I think I liked the second one better, though it's hard to tell if I'd have a different opinion if I'd read the books back to back and quickly. I didn't read them back to back, and, especially with the first one, I started to read it, put it down for months, and then picked it back up again. (You know how it goes....) Anyway, I'm really excited for you to read Penrod and Sam, as this one is the one that is most fresh in my mind.[/spoil]

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've finished Penrod and Sam. I really enjoyed this. :D A couple of thoughts:
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm
I've finished Penrod and Sam. I really enjoyed this. :D
I'm so glad you liked it!
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

Replies:
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've started reading Penrod Jashber, the third Penrod book by Booth Tarkington.

Observations from chapter 1:
► Show Spoiler