Book Reading

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Book Reading

Post by donnie »

I'm interested in reading this one, and I think I'll wait to read your more in-depth review until I finish it. I downloaded it through Apple Books, and notice that the author is Edna Ferber, a name I've definitely seen. There's another one of hers in Apple Books, a collection of stories called Buttered Side Down that looks interesting. I downloaded that one as well.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:40 pm
I'm interested in reading this one, and I think I'll wait to read your more in-depth review until I finish it. I downloaded it through Apple Books, and notice that the author is Edna Ferber, a name I've definitely seen. There's another one of hers in Apple Books, a collection of stories called Buttered Side Down that looks interesting. I downloaded that one as well.
That's great! I'd love to discuss the book with you when you read it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I’ve read the first two chapters. Although only a little way in, it seems a pretty sprightly and interesting story so far. I like the author’s abilities at describing and characterizing.

Dawn’s feistiness and sense of humor remind me a lot of Helen’s in Parnassus on Wheels. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:40 pm
Dawn’s feistiness and sense of humor remind me a lot of Helen’s in Parnassus on Wheels. :)
I love level-headed female characters like that!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just finished the Kindle version of Ring (1991) :star: :star: :star: :star: by Koji Suzuki.

This was the English edition of Ring (unfortunately, I don't know Japanese), on which the film The Ring is based, though the book is much different from the movie.

It's basically a mystery novel. I wouldn't call it horror, really. It was very good, and I'd recommend a fan of the film to read it if they like the movie. Just beware that it is quite different.

The story is about Asakawa, a news reporter who investigates the mysterious deaths of four teenagers. After watching the tape, it becomes a race against time for Asakawa, who enlists his friend Ryuji, to figure out what needs to be done to break the curse.

I enjoyed the book, though it was far from perfect. I had some questions, and a certain character gives out a lot of information a little more readily than I would expect. This is the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars.

Having seen the film, I already knew what had to be done to break the curse, but there was so much in the book that was different than the movie that it didn't really ruin it for me.

I would recommend this, and, surprise! It's part of a trilogy, so I'll be reading the others soon. Stay tuned. :D