Astrud Gilberto at 83

You can put celebrity death notifications here.
donnie

Astrud Gilberto at 83

Post by donnie »

I meant to post this a few days ago, but never got around to it.

She was a Brazilian Bossa nova singer, best remembered for the 60's iconic hit The Girl from Ipanema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVdaFQhS86E

PS: Although I love this song, there's a grammatical error in the lyrics that bugs me every time I hear it. :roll: :)

dachshundonstilts

Re: Astrud Gilberto at 83

Post by dachshundonstilts »

That grammatical error exists because the English lyric was written to be sung by a man but was very clumsily rewritten for female singers. As originally written by Norman Gimbel it goes, "She looks straight ahead, not at me."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:10 pm
That grammatical error exists because the English lyric was written to be sung by a man but was very clumsily rewritten for female singers. As originally written by Norman Gimbel it goes, "She looks straight ahead, not at me."
Ah! So that's it. :D I tried mentally rewriting those lines to eliminate it and keep the meaning, but I couldn't think of anything.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

How about “But each time she goes out for a swim…” :db:
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

There you go! :D