Aftermath of Mt. St. Helens Eruption (1980)

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Aftermath of Mt. St. Helens Eruption (1980)

Post by Kitty »

Here is an interesting 15 minute video, speaking to people who were there when the volcano erupted.

https://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb ... 3-472v74xk
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Aftermath of Mt. St. Helens Eruption (1980)

Post by donnie »

Interesting! What a terrifying thing that must have been for the people in that area. I admired the philosophy of the ones who talked about taking one day at a time in the aftermath, and also those turning to their faith to sustain them.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I'll never forget it, we live about 80 miles from Mt. St. Helens. There were many subsequent eruptions after the first big initial blast on May 18th, weeks and months later, and we could see the plumes of ash going into the air.

It's nothing we'd like to EVER see again.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 am
I'll never forget it, we live about 80 miles from Mt. St. Helens. There were many subsequent eruptions after the first big initial blast on May 18th, weeks and months later, and we could see the plumes of ash going into the air.

I'll bet not! Could you hear anything at your location? Any earth tremors or anything?

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 am

I'll bet not! Could you hear anything at your location? Any earth tremors or anything?
I don't remember hearing anything loud at all. The first big eruption turned day into practically night time.

Then one of the subsequent eruptions I remember it was a bright sunny day and a friend and I were driving around in my convertible VW and we pulled off the road to watch the plume of ash and smoke shooting into the sky.
Then one of the other eruptions my mom and I were driving back from Reno and going through Portland Oregon and had to drive through fallen ash that was much like driving in dirty snow.

As far as I can recall any noticeable tremors were much closer to the mountain.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I think it's fascinating to have witnessed a volcanic eruption. Your description prompted me to look for some photos. How about this spectacular one from Portland? Did what you saw resemble anything like this?
Attachments
tumblr_n3bns5mnoj1slvjoqo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n3bns5mnoj1slvjoqo1_1280.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 3340 times

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Oh yes that's exactly what we were seeing several times, from our house, but when we went through Portland it was just gray with ash in the air.
Several of the subsequent eruptions looked exactly like that picture, it was a clear day, except for that. :shock:

donnie

Post by donnie »

That must have been such an awe-inspiring and yet frightening sight!