American Archive of Public Broadcasting

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Re: American Archive of Public Broadcasting

Post by Kitty »

Enough of this news program is interesting that I think I will share this as a thanksgiving-themed thing.

From 1981, it's New Jersey Nightly News.
https://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb ... 9-8c9r4d5c
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That was an interesting newscast to watch. On holidays sometimes you get more interesting feature stories since there’s usually more of a shortage of hard news. A lot of heartwarming—and disturbing—things in 1981, just as there is today…

I liked that story on the cranberries. Besides being a carrot addict (Hi, Bessie!), I’m also a cranberry addict. I keep them frozen and eat them with lunch year round. I just laid in a 30 lb. supply for the year, as you can only buy them in fall/early winter. I’ll skip that chicken foot soup recipe, though. :x

Interesting article on Sandy Hook, in light of the bad storm a few years ago. Sandy Hook, like Cape Hatteras, NC, and a lot of other areas, is probably not a good place to try to have a human habitation. :(

That story about the Portuguese community was interesting, also.

Does any of this look familiar to you? I think NJ would have been a cool place to live—so much variety from urban to rural, different ethnic communities, a lot of interesting things going on.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

None of the areas look familiar, but I definitely recognize the names. Being away so long, it was kind of surreal hearing the names of so many areas that I'd heard of so often when I lived in NJ.
Reporting the news seemed so much simpler back then!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's an interesting one. This is a 9 minute silent video of 1967 outtakes by the Houston Fire Department. The description says:
Outtake footage including silent footage of a parade, Halloween night sponsored by fire department, firefighters putting out fires, parade, fire department ceremony and voter registration.

https://av.lib.uh.edu/media_objects/fb494845g

Here you can see some interesting street parades, a movie night sponsored by the fire department (they're watching Donald Duck!) and some of the children are even dressed up in their Halloween costumes! I love seeing the street signs, product advertisements, and my favorite shot of all is the one where the people are reflected in the mirror. Then there's a longer shot of the group, where we can see the mirror that they were reflected in a moment ago.

Let me know what you think. Keep an eye out for the Snoopy/Charlie Brown cameo!

donnie

Post by donnie »

That’s pretty cool. :) How about the hairstyles of the beauty queen at 0:56 and the lady in green at the awards ceremony? Those were BIG hair days. :) Those kids are having a good time at the Halloween night, aren’t they? Some of them look almost as if they’re social-distancing!

I think I missed that part you were talking about with the reflection. Betty might be interested in this University of Houston Libraries section.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:13 pm

I think I missed that part you were talking about with the reflection. Betty might be interested in this University of Houston Libraries section.
I'm glad you liked it! Yes, the hairstyles and clothing styles are still in the era where people would dress up to go out, even if they are just going to a parade! And those kids are super cute. Some seem a little confused, though.
The reflection part I was talking about was very brief. It was at the part where the family is standing outside the burned house with all of their things. They seem to be in a good mood, anyway, all things considered.

Yes, I wondered if Betty recognized any of the places.