Broadway During The Day In 1929

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Broadway During The Day In 1929

Post by Kitty »

An awesome and fascinating 5 minute newsreel documentary of the sights and some of the sounds of 1929 Broadway. Some really great things in this --- notice the early Walgreens!!!!

https://youtu.be/saFIpM-y7oM
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Broadway During The Day In 1929

Post by donnie »

That's fascinating. A lot of folks were anxious to get on camera there at the end. :) That was really an exciting time for the movie going public with the new talkies. I wonder what the Gloria Swanson talkie was. And I noticed that The Vagabond Lover was playing at one theatre. I have a dvd of that one.
Attachments
MV5BMjE2ODU5NDg2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMxMzgyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMjE2ODU5NDg2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMxMzgyMQ@@._V1_.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 6796 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The Gloria Swanson talkie had to be 1929's The Trespasser, released on November 11th. It was her first all talking picture. Excitingly, it is on YouTube in full! https://youtu.be/QzWDXm8PwYA
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's great! I'm downloading it to watch sometime.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmB60kIFRbI

This isn't the same video as the above (I'm still searching for that!) but I had to share this fascinating film of A Ride Down Broadway (1929).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This isn't a particularly *exciting* film, but it's pretty amazing to see all the lights the way it used to be on broadway. This is called A 1929 Stroll Down Broadway. The camera is static much of the time in different spots, so I used the arrow bars on my keyboard to fast forward a bit, but it's pretty great to see all those names lit up in literal lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlYa85m-Ao

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

And here is New York in the Snow 1920-1929! I suggest you check the comments section, very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNE4k-klk80

donnie

Post by donnie »

Both those were very interesting. On the top one, did you notice all the marquees advertising talkies? ("Vitaphone House of Talkies" :D ) I wonder if the sound is authentic or is some generic added. (I suspect the latter.) Either way I wonder why are there constant siren sounds? I’ll bet there is some image stabilization software that could take most if not all of the jitter out that film.

On the bottom one, it’s interesting that they had a theatre just for newsreels. :) And I wonder what that animation looking thing is up on the building at the end? (~8:15) Can you tell? That's very odd looking and does not appear to have been technology it seems they would have had at that time.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:16 pm
On the bottom one, it’s interesting that they had a theatre just for newsreels. :) And I wonder what that animation looking thing is up on the building at the end? (~8:15) Can you tell? That's very odd looking and does not appear to have been technology it seems they would have had at that time.
It's cool that the snow one also shows the newsreel theater with a different angle.

I wondered what that billboard was, too, and this time when I looked really close, I think that's a girl in something that looks like a bathing suit on a swing.