Mary Pickford Receives Honorary Oscar

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

Mary Pickford Receives Honorary Oscar

Post by Kitty »

Here is an amazing rare glimpse of Pickfair while Mary still lived there. Gene Kelly makes the speech before Miss Mary is presented with her Oscar.
https://youtu.be/3vXhqrbSeOE
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mary Pickford Receives Honorary Oscar

Post by donnie »

Yes, I've seen that before, but enjoyed watching it again. Isn't that a wonderful presentation? The summary of her career with the still photos was particularly good, and it was very interesting to see Pickfair.

I've read that when it was originally telecast, many of the TV audience were quite surprised and disturbed at how fragile she was. She had endured a lot of hard times, including some pretty bad battles with alcoholism, I believe. But it's wonderful to see her win that award she so richly deserved.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

She was also 85 years old at the time, and her answers seemed rehearsed. I wonder if this wasn't the only take. Gene Kelly looks really good, too. He aged well.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it does seem rehearsed now that you mention it. As reclusive as she was, I’m surprised she even let them film that. Yes, GK does look very good here.