The Origins of Daniel Striped Tiger

This is the home for vintage newsreels and documentaries.
Kitty

The Origins of Daniel Striped Tiger

Post by Kitty »

Here is a very interesting clip from a documentary called "Our Neighbor, Fred Rogers". It tells about how Daniel Striped Tiger came to be, and how he got his name, too! It even has some lovely footage from the original program "Children's Corner" with Josie Carey, who seems like an adorable sweet lady! You know, seeing her and the girl who plays Lady Aberlin in these shows makes me wish I could have been there to take part in the show. It looks like so much fun! And Fred Rogers obviously loved doing it, too. I am totally in love with Mr. Rogers. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqNmv5u4X28
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Origins of Daniel Striped Tiger

Post by donnie »

I enjoyed that. :) Charming dialogue at the end.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Isn't it too cute? I wish I could find more footage, and I'm trying to find the songs that are featured in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, too. It's amazing that it's so hard to find the music, although it was on public television for free viewing when it was first aired. There are a couple records that were released for Children's Corner. One song is on Youtube, and it's very interesting to hear an early version of it. The lyrics are a little different from the one that Mister Rogers sang on his Neighborhood show. Daniel Tiger's voice is a bit rougher than it was on the later show. I'll warn you, this youtube video is LOUD, turn your speakers down so as not to get blown out by all that original record sound. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75wTk1xltow
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the warning! :) I see what you mean about Daniel's voice. I'm amazed that the orchestration in the background was that elaborate and full. That must have cost some money.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I found out there were two LP's they issued for Children's Corner, one is Tomorrow on the Children's Corner, and the other is Around the Children's Corner. They're songs, but there are also talking parts in between each song. Every song for the LP Tomorrow on the Children's Corner is on youtube, but only 8 for Around the Children's Corner are on there. I'm hoping I can obtain a copy of the full LP somehow. Because of the story, it's almost pointless to just have only SOME of the songs, you know what I mean? They're really cute, but I feel like I'm missing something not hearing the whole thing.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it does sound as if they were meant to be experienced as a whole album. Maybe somewhere...