Lillian Gish/Salvador Dali Interview

Let's talk interviews!
Kitty

Lillian Gish/Salvador Dali Interview

Post by Kitty »

I'm linking this Dick Cavett interview for Lillian, but you can stay for the odd man that is Dali. Before Lillian, but not in this video, is a Satchel Paige interview.
https://youtu.be/GO_8m74T50E
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Lillian Gish/Salvador Dali Interview

Post by donnie »

That was a nice interview. She was such a good spokesperson for Griffith and for silent film. She was always so approachable and personable, yet you could sense a real intellect and and authority beneath the surface that was impressive.

Salvador Dali—I don't know what to say about that, other than it's about what I might have expected. :lol: I didn't really understand a sentence he said, and I don't think Cavett did either, actually. But I did like the anteater—though I got the impression Lillian and Satchel weren't wild about it. :)

BettyLouSpence

Re: Lillian Gish/Salvador Dali Interview

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Thanks for sharing, Kitty :) I always enjoy seeing silent stars in their later years speaking about the era: something wistful about it, I guess. That clip from Orphans of the Storm jogged my memory a bit, though it's still (over)due for a rewatch.

Dali's segment was also pretty much what I expected :lol: I don't know if he really was that eccentric or partially playing up the character of the eccentric artist. For example, 26 minutes in when Cavett asks him the name of the film where the razor is drawn across the eye, Dali starts talking about it being a "personal question between time and Dali" before giving the name (Un Chien Andalou (1929), in case you missed it). I honestly don't think I understood a single thing he said, not because of his accent but because the answers given didn't really "match" the question.

Re that anteater, I did wince a bit at its rather rough treatment at the beginning.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...