Mother & Child talking/Art Linkletter Interview with Korean War POW

Let's talk interviews!
Kitty

Mother & Child talking/Art Linkletter Interview with Korean War POW

Post by Kitty »

I listened to the mother & child recording, and I thought the 1953 Korean War POW interview might also be of interest. I have not listened to the latter yet, but the former is an adorable back and forth with a mother asking her child about their 5th birthday. It's a two sided recording, the first side is easier to hear, and the second is a recording of all the same questions that the mother asked the child the first time. Not sure why it was done two times; maybe because the one side came out so hard to hear. It's fascinating to hear both sides of the record, though, so I'd recommend trying to go through both.

http://78records.cdbpdx.com/Graham/
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mother & Child talking/Art Linkletter Interview with Korean War POW

Post by donnie »

I listened to this one. Both the mother and the daughter are charming. :) That little girl really didn’t want to chew her cabbage twice. “I can’t go through all that again, and I’m not gonna!” :lol: Boy, she sure racked up for her birthday, though!

I also listened to the POW one. It’s hard to imagine how heroes like that kept their sanity through their ordeal.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:07 am
I listened to this one. Both the mother and the daughter are charming. :) That little girl really didn’t want to chew her cabbage twice. “I can’t go through all that again, and I’m not gonna!” :lol: Boy, she sure racked up for her birthday, though!

I also listened to the POW one. It’s hard to imagine how heroes like that kept their sanity through their ordeal.
Isn't it so sweet?? You can hear the pleasure in the child's voice when mother asks "what did mommy give you?" And you can tell they are smiling big when they say "a wagon!" And their displeasure when they realize Mom didn't bring the records that were given by one of their friends. I just love normal recordings like this.

I still haven't listened to the linkletter audio. Is it particularly disturbing?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:39 am
I just love normal recordings like this.
Commercial media from the past can be great, but it isn't real. This is real. A moment frozen in time.
Kitty wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:39 am
I still haven't listened to the linkletter audio. Is it particularly disturbing?
No, not in any graphic sort of way. But it does make you appreciate more the sacrifices that have been made.