Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
Kitty

Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by Kitty »

Watch this hilarious video about what to do and what not to do when dating. It reminds me of Highlights magazine with the Goofus and Gallant section.
Dating Dos and Donts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxBOSdl-b54
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Instructional Videos

Post by donnie »

All right! I love this thread. You know what an addict I am of instructional videos. And you've started it off with a classic. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Hahaha I made it with you in mind, Friend! Lol
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Teaching Films

Post by Kitty »

The big dream of many people in the photoplay industry and in the public in the early days was for photoplay to be a teaching tool in churches and schools. Here is one example.
Experience With An Eel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jeEDV6DYiZU

donnie

Re: Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Here is one my favorites. McGraw-Hill Textbook company made a lot of these social guidance films. This one is actually pretty interesting, both in terms of the main character and the reaction of people today as to who is at fault.
The Snob 1958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_D4KS70Y4

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well, Mister Announcer, I'll tell you. I think that the crowd is extremely judgmental. They and the film maker made her out to be like a boring snobby lump that was sitting there with a frown on her face. I saw her as a teenager who was forced to go somewhere she didn't want to go. Yes, she had some resentment toward the student that was going to have their design on the front of the yearbook, but I think that the fact that the parent is trying to make her 'go with the crowd' was the biggest problem. Maybe after that math problem she may have wanted to play Yahtzee with the fam or watch TV. Not everyone likes to go partying and dancing. Furthermore, not one of the students until the end tried to understand what was wrong. They all immediately demonized the poor girl. I feel bad for her.
In the end, if the rest of the story was filmed, I like to believe that she has worked through her problems, that boy who went after her became her boyfriend, and they became high school sweethearts. They were married and lived 80 years more in one of the longest marriages ever.

The main girl reminds me a LOT of the 'weird girl' in The Breakfast Club. Someone else, too.... I can't put my finger on who. And that boy Ron is worse than the girls! Acting and attitude :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for your thoughts on that! Yes, I feel much the same way, though I couldn't have articulated as well you did. I definitely felt a kinship with the girl and sympathy for her. And most of the comments I've seen on the film seem to go in the same direction—which is interesting, because I'm pretty sure that's not what the filmmakers intended. Although the film was to be followed by classroom discussion, apparently, it seems that she is supposed to be seen as the "bad guy" who should fit in better. I'm not sure if that is indicative of a cultural shift between then and now or not. You have to admit, she was pretty rough on that guy that just asked her to dance, though. :o

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

He grabbed her arm like a gorilla climbing the empire state building! I would have given him the same look! :lol:
I think today kids are encouraged to be themselves and to NOT do what the crowd does. I wasn't as 'tudey toward the subject as she was when I was a teen, but I probably wouldn't have gone dancing or entered big crowds like that.

donnie

Post by donnie »

When I was a teenager, I went to dances and gatherings and enjoyed being in on those things (though I was still a nonconformist, in many ways.) But it's funny, the older I've gotten, the less and less I like those kinds of things. Now, I'll avoid a party or anything remotely like a social gathering like the plague. Maybe that's why I could relate to the girl in the story. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love the Coronet instructional videos. How quaint they are! They're peachy keen. What squares! :lol:
Better Use For Leisure Time
https://youtu.be/a3nq5l_ujoM