Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:01 am
I liked this film. Sorry it took so long for me to watch.
Glad you watched it. I enjoyed your comments. :D
So, now that I think of it: What is exactly is the lesson of this film? Go on vacations when you're supposed to? :ugeek: :?:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:07 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:01 am
I liked this film. Sorry it took so long for me to watch.
Glad you watched it. I enjoyed your comments. :D
So, now that I think of it: What is exactly is the lesson of this film? Go on vacations when you're supposed to? :ugeek: :?:
I think the lesson is: appreciate your family more, because they're the only constant friends you'll ever have.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

The beginning circumstance of this film is a little strange, but it ends up containing some good advice.

It's odd that Dick would be ringing Mr. Martin's bell at 1:20 AM, and also odd that Mr. Martin wouldn't act a bit surprised as he heartily welcomes Dick in. And do you usually offer cake to guests after 1 AM? He sure is a nice guy.

Mr. Martin turns out to be a good psychologist with some wise advice. I like that he doesn't make either Dick or his parents out to be villains, but just helps them to understand. (I wonder what kind of club that was.)

You And Your Parents (1950)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFywZePcwbc&list=PLXq9ObUBLV1rL7Q1viMriR-EH5DNzaqnO&index=12

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You And Your Parents (1950)
donnie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:19 pm
It's odd that Dick would be ringing Mr. Martin's bell at 1:20 AM, and also odd that Mr. Martin wouldn't act a bit surprised as he heartily welcomes Dick in. And do you usually offer cake to guests after 1 AM? He sure is a nice guy.
Too much of a nice guy. The wife doesn't seem to care that they were woken up at the crack of dawn and now she has to prepare the guest room for someone who lives down the street, either. They could have at least acted sleepy! And it's weird that he offered him cake and then didn't eat it with him.
donnie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:19 pm
.... but just helps them to understand. (I wonder what kind of club that was.)
I know most parents are just winging it --- there's no guidebook, as they say, but I do wish they'd think of their children as people more often. If only they'd have had this conversation as to why they have these rules for Dick to make him understand in the first place.

As to what kind of club it was, probably Patience Club, because Mr. Martin sure has a lot of it!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:03 am
As to what kind of club it was, probably Patience Club, because Mr. Martin sure has a lot of it!!
:lol: That's for sure!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Feeling Left Out, 1951 (Coronet) This one is missing the opening title.

Why is Mike obsessed with “the gang”, I wonder. They seem like pretty rude and inconsiderate jerks. :roll:

The coach’s explanation was a pretty good one. I’ve noticed in many of these films, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on authority figures letting the young person figure it out instead prescribing exactly what to do.

I feel sorry for the girl at 4:55. And the one right after that at 5:07 that tries to “attract the notice of others with exaggerated dress or manner”—I guess that’s a student?? It sure looks like an older woman to me; I might have mistaken her for a teacher.

What kind of motor bike things are those with the goofy horns?? Somewhere in this section, I could have sworn I saw an old-fashioned steam locomotive going by in the distance—you forget they were still in use in this era—but looking back on it, I can’t find it. Maybe I imagined it? :)

Watching these things a lot of times makes me remember just how hard being a teenager was. :roll: I mean, I was reasonably happy most of the time in high school, but I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn’t go through it again. Would you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtczeaMQEk&list=PLXq9ObUBLV1rL7Q1viMriR-EH5DNzaqnO&index=92

donnie

Post by donnie »

Speech: Platform Posture and Appearance (1949)

Who knew balance was that important to speaking?? Hmm.

Wow, that’s one severe looking audience at 3:21. :lol: :lol: I'd hate to be that poor guy at 3:47 in front of this crowd. (Ok, I guess three’s a crowd.)

The circular experiment didn’t work for me. I could keep my balance no matter how far apart my feet were placed. :) How about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDbjYCfglw&list=PLpZ695g0HKEl9sKT3FyFXROAWyIDqyGOZ&index=18

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:22 pm
Watching these things a lot of times makes me remember just how hard being a teenager was. :roll: I mean, I was reasonably happy most of the time in high school, but I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn’t go through it again. Would you?
Nope. :lol:
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Feeling Left Out, 1951 (Coronet)
donnie wrote:
Why is Mike obsessed with “the gang”, I wonder. They seem like pretty rude and inconsiderate jerks. :roll:
He's acting more like a younger kid who wants to hang around with the older ones. What I noticed is that he just keeps trying to insert himself into the 'clique' (I've always heard it pronounced 'click', so it was jarring to hear 'cleek' multiple times) instead of becoming friends with one of them in order to get introduced. I think the key to becoming popular is being kind and friendly to everyone. You don't always need a 'gang' if you're happy with yourself.
donnie wrote:
The coach’s explanation was a pretty good one. I’ve noticed in many of these films, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on authority figures letting the young person figure it out instead prescribing exactly what to do.
I think this just goes hand in hand with the goal the films were trying to achieve. I think schools have gotten away from this type of thinking and teaching, and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.
donnie wrote:
What kind of motor bike things are those with the goofy horns??
I thought that shot was so strange --- why are they honking them like that? :lol:
donnie wrote:
I mean, I was reasonably happy most of the time in high school, but I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn’t go through it again. Would you?
I don't think I would. I was very shy in the high school setting. Wish I knew then what I know now, but isn't that how it always goes?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Speech: Platform Posture and Appearance (1949)
donnie wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:35 pm
The circular experiment didn’t work for me. I could keep my balance no matter how far apart my feet were placed. :) How about you?
That exercise was ridiculous. It's really all about how long you can stand comfortably in the position you're standing in.

I wonder what setting you'd have been watching these types of videos in? I'm guessing this is for adults, as I can't imagine this would be relatable for kids.