Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

It's weird, all right. And it's put out by "Children's Productions"—so maybe it's genuine and produced by children, which might explain the difference in quality between this and the more polished Coronet films—but I'm still skeptical. Yes, I'm interested to know what your second impression is.

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is kind of a nice Coronet—I like Dottie. :)

(edit: The YouTube video was deleted, so I'm replacing it with this. Marriage Is A Partnership. -Kitty)
https://archive.org/details/Marriage1951

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That was really great. I could feel everything that Dottie felt. I found myself comparing things in her life to mine. This was a really thought-provoking Coronet film. I think it should still be shown!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it does still have a lot of relevance. I was struck by the part where the husband goes off to work, leaving her there to basically do housework and stare at the four walls—all day, every day. I'd never really thought about it, but that's how it was, I guess—no internet, or for that matter TV, probably—you'd have radio and reading and maybe a visit with friends or a family member occasionally, I guess. Still, I would probably go stir-crazy. You get a good sense of how trapped she felt, though she loved her husband and marriage. I'll guess a lot of young wives could identify with that.

I felt sorry for her mother-in-law a little, though, imagining how lonesome she would be. Or do you think the mil was a know-it-all busybody? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched the Thanksgiving video again. I think it's genuine. The narrator sounds too authentic for the dubbing to be fake. I also think this really was made for Thanksgiving, as the narrator says "celebration" and "Thanksgiving" multiple times, and the boys are wearing Christmas sweaters at the beginning of the story.

For the second go-around with your thoughts in mind, I definitely can tell how bad the music is. It's a little distracting, actually, when you're paying attention to it.

I was trying to research Children's Productions and came up nothing much, except that this was really made by a company called Instructional Films Inc., and Children's Productions seems to be an offshoot of that company. (Maybe a different department?) The reason I was looking was I had the thought that maybe the mother is a nun in real life and that's why she looked so stern :lol: Well, I don't have any confirmation on that, sorry. :lol:

There are a couple postings on archive.org of this video, and I'm surprised at the harsh criticism that this gets. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I didn't think it was really all that bad. It could be because I'm so used to this era of production.

I did notice how cute as a button that little girl is the second time around. She's really hamming it up. The littlest boy looks familiar, too. I wonder what became of these people in this video. I hope they had nice lives. 😃
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for your thoughts on that. I saw that it is in the internet archive (though I didn't read the comments), and yes, that would point to its being genuine, but I'm still skeptical. The narration just doesn't sound quite right to me.

And that music...it doesn't sound at all like what someone who have chosen for a background score in that era. Instead, it sounds to me as if somebody said, "I know what would be funny—let's show how maudlin this thing is by finding some of the stuff that sounds like old silent film music to put under it."
Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 pm
I also think this really was made for Thanksgiving, as the narrator says "celebration" and "Thanksgiving" multiple times, and the boys are wearing Christmas sweaters at the beginning of the story.
But "Thanksgiving" is mentioned only in the narration, so if the narration is fake... I didn't notice the Christmas sweaters, although that could be coincidental. It still looks like a film about meal manners in general, unrelated to a holiday in particular.

But on the other hand, if it is a fake, it seems the "real" version would be somewhere online, and it apparently isn't, so...you're probably right...but it's just weird.

You know what? Maybe I'm too suspicious. You know what else? I'll bet we are the only two people in the world debating the authenticity of this film. :D Oh well, somebody had to do it...might as well be us. ;)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Look at these Wendy's training videos from the late 80s. You know it's old, because they don't even sell Biggie anymore! First one's hot drinks, second ones cold. I like the first one best. What do you think?
Wendy's Hot Drink Training Video and Wendy's Cold Drink Training Video
https://youtu.be/3xSyVjkSib4

https://youtu.be/PJ-JBFXh2IU

donnie

Post by donnie »

Time for an instructional film fix. Image

Here is a Coronet from 1951. Herein lies the secret of correct eating technique!
Key word: sloooooowwww :D
Good Eating Habits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZKV45lzeXo

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:o "and that" what?? Poor narrator man got cut off! :lol:
Boy, this kid must have got up two hours early for school to have all that time to look around at his family between every bite and sip of his food in the morning.
I get the feeling there is something underlying here. What's the real reason he hurried all day? Was he competing for Fastest Boy for his elementary school? If so, he wins.
I think his biggest problem was the junk he scarfed down after school. That was some weird stuff.
It's weird that they threw in the part with him cutting the bacon incorrectly. At least he's making an effort! Sheesh! Besides, I'm not sure if I've ever eaten bacon that could be cut so easily. I just gnaw at it. Now I'm going to see if there's any more bacon left from breakfast.
See ya! :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm
:o "and that" what?? Poor narrator man got cut off! :lol:
Boy, this kid must have got up two hours early for school to have all that time to look around at his family between every bite and sip of his food in the morning.
I get the feeling there is something underlying here. What's the real reason he hurried all day? Was he competing for Fastest Boy for his elementary school? If so, he wins.
I think his biggest problem was the junk he scarfed down after school. That was some weird stuff.
It's weird that they threw in the part with him cutting the bacon incorrectly. At least he's making an effort! Sheesh! Besides, I'm not sure if I've ever eaten bacon that could be cut so easily. I just gnaw at it. Now I'm going to see if there's any more bacon left from breakfast.
See ya! :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Yes, I think I think it was the junk food after school instead of the speed. What's the deal with that? I don't think I've ever gotten a stomach ache from eating too fast, but I've gotten one from eating junk. No more—I'm vegetarian now! ;) Image
At any rate, this is a weird one, including the incorrect bacon cutting scene. :lol: