Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by donnie »

Social Acceptability (1957)

Here, alas, is another of those films dealing with social rejection in which the narration places the blame and responsibility on the person who has been rejected, rather than on those doing the rejecting, which is where it belongs. :( So many shallow, wrong assumptions here. The message should be made clearer that there’s never any excuse for looking down on others or rejecting them.

Although the narration does come around some at the end, it seems overall to promote the idea of popularity as a valid measure of self-worth. Looking back on it, the very title Social Acceptability seems to underlie these assumptions. I.e., what do we need to do to be "acceptable"—and the characters' attitudes seem to fall in line with this.

Regarding the character Susie, what do you think she should have done? Should she have phoned to explain that she wanted to invite Marion, but it didn’t work out because of her parents’ restrictions? Or would that have made matters worse?

Well, on a less heavy note: 2:45: bugburger?? Did I misread that? I hope it’s not what it sounds like. :lol:

The music at the beginning seemed kind of oddly mismatched to the content. But that at the end is heavy enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PxIxDmrFqc

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

A Day in the Life of a Kitchen (1960's)
donnie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm

How about that odd bar? The air pad seems like a pretty cool idea, though.
Pretty cool, to me, though that part of it does seem a bit cramped, and I always have to think of the difficulty in cleaning things, especially in the kitchen. That wall must have been annoying to have to wipe down every day.

Overall, I like the way the kitchen is set up. Was that the house vacuum she used to move the fridge around? Do modern vacuums even have that reverse blower thing?
donnie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm

The ending—uh, have those kids been into something besides just good eats?? :shock: :lol:
Why are only the girls wearing the weird 'helmets'? Either way, I don't think many people would be caught dead with that on their head. :lol: Maybe they were having a bad hair day that day.

The comments on this video are pretty interesting.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

When I was growing up, they called them cliques with a short i, so it's glaring to me whenever he says the word with a long e sound.

Susie reminds me of Betty from Father Knows Best.

"I'll be glad to get out of this school where one bunch runs everything." Girl, that's all the way through life. If you want to be part of it, you arrange things yourself or offer yourself as a helping hand.

There answers our discussion about those little jukeboxes at the table. They would work the main jukebox in the shop, as you suggested.

Oh, wow! Marian's mother is pretty defeatist.... I never cared about throwing parties at my house, but I know that if I did, my mother would not worry at all about how to do it "properly" and what others would think of the house and if we weren't rich. For another thing, she keeps squawking about how expensive it would be. She's making it so hard on herself. A simple "maybe sometime!" would have been enough, and one day of extra cleaning after the party (especially with Marian's help!) wouldn't be so bad, would it? Yikes! The way the wife talks to her husband! "You're a man! You have no idea how much work goes into throwing a party!" Does she never host bridge parties at her house?

Well there answers my question about whether they host bridge parties at their house. She grew up just like Marian, perhaps having a mother like her, and never got rid of that social anxiety. I actually feel for her, but if she lets the boy's friends over, it's just not fair to bar Marian from having parties at her house. She's 16 and never had any little parties or get togethers with her friends at her house, when everyone else is running around hosting parties at theirs? If the kids really are the way the mother thinks they are, that's putting an even worse wedge into things.

I laughed at the brother's response off screen. "Aw, keep yer shirt on!" :lol:
donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:24 pm
Social Acceptability (1957)

Here, alas, is another of those films dealing with social rejection in which the narration places the blame and responsibility on the person who has been rejected, rather than on those doing the rejecting, which is where it belongs. :(
I think a lot of adults grow up and forget about the details such as teaching their children to be inclusive in all things. As a result, kids grow up to forget the one who doesn't speak much or is shy. The blame on Marian's personality is just not right, in my opinion, because I'm sure she has a lovely, bright personality if she had a chance to show it.
donnie wrote:
Although the narration does come around some at the end, it seems overall to promote the idea of popularity as a valid measure of self-worth. Looking back on it, the very title Social Acceptability seems to underlie these assumptions. I.e., what do we need to do to be "acceptable"—and the characters' attitudes seem to fall in line with this.
All of that seems to put so much pressure on the individual!
donnie wrote:
Regarding the character Susie, what do you think she should have done? Should she have phoned to explain that she wanted to invite Marion, but it didn’t work out because of her parents’ restrictions? Or would that have made matters worse?
If Susie said she'd call, she definitely should have called, regardless. She knew she told her she'd call, and it's not like she forgot. She made a conscious choice not to call. Regarding the fact that she overinvited, her mother either settled at the 17 or told her to uninvite a few people, which would mean that Marian wasn't the only one not going. If her mother did settle for 17 people and Susie told her that she couldn't invite her because of overinvitation, it could have made things just as bad (not worse, really, just a hand off I think) to know that out of those 17 people, she was the 18th person that was remembered. Sheesh, I feel like I"m in school doing one of those math word problems. :lol:

By the way, can I just say that 14 is a weird number, and if Susie already invited 17 people, her mother should have rounded it up to 20 and dealt with her daughter later about the matter?
donnie wrote:
Well, on a less heavy note: 2:45: bugburger?? Did I misread that? I hope it’s not what it sounds like. :lol:
I think that actually says BIGBURGER in fancy font. :D
donnie wrote:
The music at the beginning seemed kind of oddly mismatched to the content. But that at the end is heavy enough!
They try to draw you in with happy-go-lucky music to make the future generations think that everything in the 50s was bubblegum and cotton candy.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:15 am
Was that the house vacuum she used to move the fridge around? Do modern vacuums even have that reverse blower thing?
Yes, it appears to be the regular vacuum cleaner (which I didn't even notice originally, to tell the truth). I've seen them with an attachment at the blower end, but I don't think any now have that that I've seen, not in that form, anyway.
Kitty wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:21 am
I think that actually says BIGBURGER in fancy font. :D
I'm glad. Very glad. :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

Health: Your Posture (Centron, 1953)

I didn’t notice Adraleen’s (correct spelling?) posture being that bad. And does popularity at that age really have much to do with posture?? And here again, we get the rejectee being the guilty party. :roll: So if Adraleen fixes her posture, she’ll be accepted and everything will be swell—? :?

It’s so strange to imagine kids that age going to a party with dressy clothes (suits for the boys), and doing social dancing—and enjoying it. :) I know I wouldn't have at that age!

Dr. Martin doesn’t seem to really give any specific tips for actual posture improvement, other than just good general health habits and getting advice from your doctor.I might actually could have used some specific information, because I need to work on my posture. I try to when I think of it, but it’s such a hard thing to do because you have to be constantly aware of it during the day.

https://archive.org/details/HealthYo1953

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:55 pm
Health: Your Posture (Centron, 1953)
This one's strange, because I really don't see anyone here, ---- especially the adults ---- following the narrator's advice. Almost everyone has their heads pointed forward, exactly as he says not to do!
donnie wrote:
I didn’t notice Adraleen’s (correct spelling?) posture being that bad. And does popularity at that age really have much to do with posture?? And here again, we get the rejectee being the guilty party. :roll: So if Adraleen fixes her posture, she’ll be accepted and everything will be swell—? :?
I think they used this example of social acceptance, because that's the note that resonates with kids at that age. "Do you want to be an outcast? Well, you are! It's because you don't stand up straight. Look around you! Everyone seems to be in on some secret joke. They're laughing at YOU, Adraleen!"
donnie wrote:
Dr. Martin doesn’t seem to really give any specific tips for actual posture improvement, other than just good general health habits and getting advice from your doctor.I might actually could have used some specific information, because I need to work on my posture. I try to when I think of it, but it’s such a hard thing to do because you have to be constantly aware of it during the day.

He only gives vague information about how to sit up straight. But, really, none of the kids at the party are sitting up straight on the couch, though I guess it's hard on a cushiony couch.

You're right, it's hard to work on your posture unless you're thinking about it constantly. I can say from experience, though, that it's fun to stretch your back this way and do breathing exercises, even for a time, and you feel great afterward.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's fascinating! :D I'd never seen an actual igloo constructed. There's so much artistry and precision there you would never think about. What a strange way of life...

I wanted to see the inside of the completed structure. :( Though, I guess, come to think of it, there would have been nothing to see but darkness. :)

Did you notice how the moisture from their breath had frozen on their beards?

donnie

Post by donnie »

More Dates for Kay (1952)

This one’s kind of strange.

I don’t know quite what to think about Kay. She’s a persistent gal, that’s for sure.
I’m also not quite sure what the lesson is in this film other than don’t dress flashy, use a good deodorant, etc. :lol: And keep trying. :)

"Dating slump"… The dialogue in the first couple of minutes makes it seem as if in that era it was considered somewhat abnormal not to have a date every Saturday night. Maybe it's this presumption that's putting undue pressure on Kay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsI_JHHrR3M&list=PLXq9ObUBLV1rL7Q1viMriR-EH5DNzaqnO&index=9
Last edited by donnie on Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:02 pm
More Dates for Kay (1952)
I kind of like the music in the beginning during the credits. It reminds me of (what I just learned is from) the beginning of the William Tell Overture. You know, that morning song that is always played in cartoons.

You're right, this one is kind of strange. The whole tone is actually kind of sad (especially in the beginning) in a way where you feel sorry for Mary, almost wonder if something deeper is stirring. Maybe it's the understated acting; I feel like it's pretty real, and I really like the soft way that everyone in the entire film speaks. Maybe a baby was sleeping in the other room while they were filming. :lol:

I think Mary just needs a hobby rather than sitting around being sad that she has no boy to take her around town.

By the way, I like Mary's hairstyle.
donnie wrote:
I don’t know quite what to think about Kay. She’s a persistent gal, that’s for sure.
Kay's persistent, all right. To be like her, you'd have to be passionate about snagging lots of dates. There's a bit of a fine line, though. She doesn't want to get a reputation! At the point where she's entering the hamburger joint, her face when she spots the boy coming towards her reminded me of those cartoons where the woman yells "A MAN!" in the fashion of a Tex Avery character. Picture the scene where this sort of thing happens to Eddie in the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Did you notice the way Kay says "math" and "snack" starting around 7:17? And what in the world is he reading to his friend? :lol:
donnie wrote:
I’m also not quite sure what the lesson is in this film other than don’t dress flashy, use a good deodorant, etc. :lol: And keep trying. :)
I think this video is and example of what they mean by saying "putting yourself out there", though I loathe the phrase. It definitely looks like a lot of work to secure a date every Saturday night!
donnie wrote:
"Dating slump"… The dialogue in the first couple of minutes makes it seem as if in that era it was considered somewhat abnormal not to have a date every Saturday night. Maybe it's this presumption that's putting undue pressure on Kay.
I think so. They didn't really put much emphasis on individuality back in those days. You had to be doing what everyone else was doing and to go at everyone else's pace. If you didn't, there was something wrong with you.

Consider this thought: This was kind of the tail-ish end of women needing a man to be successful. In the earlier half of the century and beyond you were considered an old maid if you were a woman and not married by your mid 20s, and for that to happen, you would have to start man-hunting early. Women seemed to be born to have one goal, and that was to hook a man, marry him, and bear his children for him. I think there was way too much pressure back then to keep up with that way of thinking.

As usual, I really enjoyed this film. I even rewound it a few times to watch it again. This Coronet is a winner! :)