Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:45 pm
What I noticed is that he just keeps trying to insert himself into the 'clique' (I've always heard it pronounced 'click', so it was jarring to hear 'cleek' multiple times)?
Yes, that sounded odd to me, too. I'd never heard it pronounced that way.

Strange that some words have changed pronunciation since that time. I've noticed in TV shows from the 1950's that deluxe is pronounced with a long u (last syllable sounding the same as Luke's). And in some of the old Perry Mason shows from that era, Los Angeles is pronounced with a hard g in the second word rather than the j sound, like An-gull-us. I've noticed some others I can't think of at the moment.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Social Courtesy (1951)

Here’s another one of those strange ones with the main character having a running conversation with an all-wise, omnipotent narrator. :)

I can identify with some of Bill’s feelings in regard to parties, but he’s pretty irritating and due for a big attitude adjustment. Don’t worry, he comes around, Goofus / Gallant style. :D

He referred to this as a “hard times” party, as if that's something viewers would be familiar with. I wonder if this was a common theme for parties among teenagers at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpcmJFbXfI

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:11 pm
Social Courtesy (1951)
This was a good one!
donnie wrote:
I can identify with some of Bill’s feelings in regard to parties, but he’s pretty irritating and due for a big attitude adjustment.
Same, I always feel very awkward at large parties. I guess that's why they used to play games where everyone can participate. I've only been to one party like that, and I think I was 10. His attitude is terrible, though. Realistically, if he was always this rude, he wouldn't have any friends to invite him to parties.
donnie wrote:
He referred to this as a “hard times” party, as if that's something viewers would be familiar with. I wonder if this was a common theme for parties among teenagers at that time.
So, I kind of think this is a weird theme to have. My first thought was, why would the parents, who definitely lived through the 30s, want to recreate the "hard times" of the era? But then I got to researching.....

This has been a thing since at least the 1850s. The first newspaper I could find on Chronicling America that mentions a "Hard Times Party" was way back in 1857! Between 1857 and 1963, there were 3,150 results.
There was a "hard times party" last week at the house of a respectable gentleman in Bost. The ladies and gentlemen wore the most common attire they could find in their wardrobe. Johnny-cake and ginger-bread were served up for supper, and the rooms were lighted up with a huge pumpkin lantern, and tallow candles stuck in potatoes. The best feature of the burlesque was that the money which a fashionable party would have cost was given to the poor. Vermont watchman and State Journal, December 11, 1857
"Hard Times" Party --- The Jackson Mississippian gives a glowing description of a "hard time party, one of the most agreeable of the season," which ushered in inauguration day at the capital of the neighboring State.
The ladies were required to dress in calico, and with but af ew exceptions the request was complied with. The attire of the gentlemen was homespun, and in some instances they were russet brogans. The company assembled at an early hour, and soon "The brisk awakening viol" was heard, and the company mingled in the merry dance. The costumes of the ladies were, without exception, becoming.
Among the distinguished guests present was his Excellency Gov. McRae and lady, and Hon A. G. Brown and lady.
Dancing was kept up until 12 o'clock, when the company partook of a splendid collation, and then the dance was resumed, which ceased not until the "wee sma' hours." Evening star, December 4, 1857
Here are a couple photos I found of different "hard times" parties people have had. Looks like they all had a great time!

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM101575

https://www.washingtoncountyinsider.com ... mes-party/

By the way, I winced when the boy made the comment to Martha's mother "Gee, I didn't expect to see you in costume." :shock: I fully expected her to come back with, "I'm not!" :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's quite interesting! Thanks for the information. This was apparently a big thing, wasn't it? As such, it seems strange that it would have been popular for over a hundred years, and then vanish and be unheard of today.

donnie

Post by donnie »

What About Drinking? (1954)

This is an unusual one in that there’s no plot at all, just a discussion among friends.

The different opinions are interesting, and I guess reflect the differing views of the time.

It’s funny nothing else was said about the accident. You’d think they’d have more curiosity about that before getting into a discussion on the ethics of alcohol.

I’ll bet this one led to some interesting class discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4n78GUzoc

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:15 pm
What About Drinking? (1954)
That was an interesting one! Thanks for sharing.

When Sally said that she thought drinking was just about the worst thing you can do, I said "really?" :roll: That's a girl who hasn't been through anything in her life. What a naïve statement!

That being said, I think drinking and driving or having open bottles in your car is one of the most idiotic things you can do. But that's not what they said, was it? This could be just a case of careless driving, and for all we know, the bottle found in he car was an unsubstantiated rumor.

Teetotaling is fine for some people, and for others it's no big deal to drink. Getting drunk all the time is the problem, and that's what ruins your health, not the occasional drunkenness or single drink. I personally don't drink a lot, and I try not to have too many, because I don't like how I feel afterward. Some people just don't know their limits, or don't care, I guess. The one girl made a good point about those who go out and drink on purpose to show off. I think this happens especially when one has parents who don't allow alcohol in the house at all.

By the way, how old do you think these 'kids' are supposed to be? I thought 16 at first, but the open talk of their parents not minding them take a drink sometimes makes me think older. To legally drink back then, they'd have to be at least 18, depending on the state they lived in. The federal drinking age law of 21 was only imposed in 1984.

This video makes me want to read my Minnie Hermon book, which I still have not gotten around to reading. :o so many books, so little time.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:27 pm
By the way, how old do you think these 'kids' are supposed to be? I thought 16 at first, but the open talk of their parents not minding them take a drink sometimes makes me think older. To legally drink back then, they'd have to be at least 18, depending on the state they lived in. The federal drinking age law of 21 was only imposed in 1984.
I wouldn't say they look much older than 16 (though I'm not a good judge), except for one boy, who looks maybe 18-19.

donnie

Post by donnie »

A pleasant Coronet from 1959, Books and Their Care.

The children are sweet in this one. :) I remember being taught that about breaking the spine in when I was in school. Were you?

I didn't realize Winnie the Pooh was that old.

The damaged volume seems to be Ragman of Paris. I looked it up, and it appears to be from 1937. I wonder what that one is about. Whoever that student was really did a number on it. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaxkuAUX-h0

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:50 pm
A pleasant Coronet from 1959, Books and Their Care.
I really loved this one!!!
donnie wrote:
I remember being taught that about breaking the spine in when I was in school. Were you?
I don't think I was. Unfortunately, I used to destroy my book covers, especially the Goosebumps books I loved. It's embarrassing, really. You knew I really loved a book the worse shape it was in. Funnily enough, I always knew to be careful with old books or other people's books. Go figure.
donnie wrote:
I didn't realize Winnie the Pooh was that old.
Oh, yes! It was released in the 20s. Believe it or not, the Pooh character is in public domain already!
donnie wrote:
The damaged volume seems to be Ragman of Paris. I looked it up, and it appears to be from 1937. I wonder what that one is about.
It looks like a cute story! Full title: Ragman of Paris and his Ragamuffins.

According to Google Books: A ragman and his companions explore the streets of Paris in springtime.

By the way, it churns my stomach when I see people turning pages from the bottom middle near the spine. I feel like passing out when I allow someone to look at one of my antique books and they turn the pages like that. It's a great way to tear the pages and encourage them to crumble into dust. Top right corner, no spit on the fingers. Do I really need to teach adults how to handle books?! 🫨 😰

Thanks for sharing, and sorry it took so long for me to watch.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:32 pm
I really loved this one!!!
Figured you would. :D
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:32 pm
I feel like passing out when I allow someone to look at one of my antique books and they turn the pages like that. It's a great way to tear the pages and encourage them to crumble into dust. Top right corner, no spit on the fingers. Do I really need to teach adults how to handle books?! 🫨 😰
I sometimes turn from the lower right. Am I going to be punished? :shock: :(