Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:45 pm
I kind of like the music in the beginning during the credits. It reminds me of (what I just learned is from) the beginning of the William Tell Overture. You know, that morning song that is always played in cartoons.
That's odd. I know exactly the music you're talking about, but that's not what I hear under the opening credits. :?: Is it possible we watched two different versions?? I ran across an instance awhile back where there were differing versions of the opening music for the same film.
Kitty wrote:
By the way, I like Mary's hairstyle.
How about Kay's? I ask that because I remember one of the commenters said, "If I woke up and had hair like Kay's, I'd run for the hills." :lol: I didn't think it was that bad.
Kitty wrote:
At the point where she's entering the hamburger joint, her face when she spots the boy coming towards her reminded me of those cartoons where the woman yells "A MAN!" in the fashion of a Tex Avery character.
:lol:
Kitty wrote:
Did you notice the way Kay says "math" and "snack" starting around 7:17? And what in the world is he reading to his friend? :lol:
Yes, you hear that peculiar kind of pronunciation a lot in the Coronet films. (I guess it's Midwestern?)
Kitty wrote:
This was kind of the tail-ish end of women needing a man to be successful....I think there was way too much pressure back then to keep up with that way of thinking.
Yes, that's a good analysis.
Kitty wrote:
As usual, I really enjoyed this film. I even rewound it a few times to watch it again. This Coronet is a winner! :)
Glad you liked it. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:47 pm
Kitty wrote:
I kind of like the music in the beginning during the credits. It reminds me of (what I just learned is from) the beginning of the William Tell Overture. You know, that morning song that is always played in cartoons.
That's odd. I know exactly the music you're talking about, but that's not what I hear under the opening credits. :?: Is it possible we watched two different versions?? I ran across an instance awhile back where there were differing versions of the opening music for the same film
Nope, we watched the same video. I was just saying that it reminds me of the referred to song.
donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:47 pm
Kitty wrote:
By the way, I like Mary's hairstyle.
How about Kay's? I ask that because I remember one of the commenters said, "If I woke up and had hair like Kay's, I'd run for the hills." :lol: I didn't think it was that bad.
I like hers, too! The shorter cuts always look cute in my opinion.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm
Nope, we watched the same video. I was just saying that it reminds me of the referred to song.
Ah, now I see. I should have read more carefully! :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another Coronet, Friendship Begins at Home (1949)

This one is a little unusual in that almost all of it consists of a monologue of the main character’s thoughts. The acting is a little stilted and on the odd side. So is Barry’s rather puzzling attitude. In fact, with the exception of the parents (and the father is strangely passive), the mindsets of the characters seemed to shift around and be a little unclear. Or is that just me shifting around? :P

And that sister—always going around with her shirttail hanging out! :o :?

This seems like an awfully long vacation if Barry has time to begin a new job and become a mechanic with regular hours in the interim. :)

Beans, beans, beans. :lol: I guess there were no hamburger joints nearby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hucLLBNzcE4&list=RDCMUCUj8lkSnX-BnTXBYj8kwvsQ&index=8

donnie

Post by donnie »

Office Etiquette (1950)

I’ve watched this one before, but apparently haven’t posted anything about it. If I have, forgive the repetition.

Regarding Ms. Purcell’s famous speech, I don’t see anything in those brief remarks that would impress a person deeply enough to remember it years later. Although certainly good advice, it didn’t seem that unique or profound. Am I missing something?

Also, from her comment at the beginning, it seems that all of these students are headed toward a business career. Would that necessarily be the case in a high school typing class??

The number of students wearing glasses in the class seems unusually high. But I’m thinking it’s really not, that it just impresses me that way, because few of the actors and actresses in these films wear them.

Joan is very likable, if a little idealistic. Her handwriting on the application form is beautiful. And she’s using one of those fountain pens that were common in this era, the ones that have the nib almost entirely enclosed by the barrel, so that they look almost like ballpoint pens.

It’s surprising how all the workers are just crammed together in that big room without even any cubicles, many of them sharing desks. It looks like a rather nerve-racking place to work.

I got a kick out of the goofuses. :)

https://archive.org/details/0241_Office_Etiquette_E00923_12_00_57_00
Last edited by donnie on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie

Post by donnie »

BUSTED, Coronet! :lol:

I was rewatching What Makes a Good Party (1950) and noticed this scene. Naughty, naughty, recycling to save those dollars. :D

Compare the party scene. I guess you're not supposed to notice that guy asleep on the couch. :lol:

https://youtu.be/gNZbi-u1e8U?t=263

https://youtu.be/yHCV_7pZDiI?t=52

donnie

Post by donnie »

I watched an interesting short documentary on the process used by RCA in producing 78 records. (This was in the shellac disk days before the advent of vinyl, so I’m not sure why the poster has it as part of the history of vinyl, unless as a precursor).

The manufacturing process from recording to sale of the records was amazingly detailed and complex. And it’s interesting to think about how difficult it must been for the musicians when they recorded directly into wax before the advent of tape with no way to edit or splice takes—other than doing the whole thing over.

I wonder whatever happened to those treasured and carefully curated repositories of gold masters. Are they still around? If so, I wonder where they are stored. I'm not even sure who would own them, since RCA no longer exists. (It's a shame we've lost in recent years so many iconic companies that have been such an important part of American history—RCA, Columbia (records), Kodak, Sears, etc., etc.)

By the way, I used to have some books written by this narrator, Milton Cross, who was a classical music critic and writer as well as broadcaster. It was interesting to see him and hear what he sounded like.

Command Performance (1946)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMV5wcf0js

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yet another Coronet, from 1948, Making the Most of School.

Talk about some motivated kids! :lol:

But Carl’s bored expression and demeanor doesn’t seem to match up with the unusually perceptive list he’s making.

The actor playing Andy is the same one who plays Woody in the classic Dating: Do's And Dont's from 1949. If those dates are correct, he sure matured a lot in one year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5UYFXCg4PA&list=PLXq9ObUBLV1rL7Q1viMriR-EH5DNzaqnO&index=33

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another one on work habits from Encyclopædia Britannica Films:
Office Courtesy - Meeting the Public (1952)

Some random comments:

I like the 40’s decor of their apartment.

These two actresses do look believably like sisters—or maybe it’s just the similar hairstyles, facial shapes, and clothing.

I was so drowsy when I was watching this that when Barbara dropped off to sleep in the chair, I almost did, too. :)

Did you guess the identity of the evil secretary in the dream? I didn’t.

How about those oval pet portraits at 7:24. A little unusual. I wonder if those are their actual pets or just decorative animal pictures.

9:17 I couldn’t make out part of the words. It sounds like “Yes sir, that (?) was enough work to do” which doesn’t sound right.

9:40 I wonder what those holes in the centers of the file folders could be for.

The goofus to gallant change in this one is more realistic in that it isn’t total overnight, though it does overall seem like an awfully big transformation. My, what a little dream can do. :)

https://archive.org/details/0575_Office_Courtesy_Meeting_the_Public_20_39_41_00

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 pm
Another Coronet, Friendship Begins at Home (1949)

This one is a little unusual in that almost all of it consists of a monologue of the main character’s thoughts. The acting is a little stilted and on the odd side. So is Barry’s rather puzzling attitude. In fact, with the exception of the parents (and the father is strangely passive), the mindsets of the characters seemed to shift around and be a little unclear. Or is that just me shifting around? :P
No wonder Barry is such an ass! His parents just let him do whatever he wants. There's no way I'd be allowed to stay at home from a vacation at the last minute after a tantrum like that. He didn't even apologize for breaking his brother's tennis racket! And then his dad gives him money to stay at home. :x
donnie wrote:
And that sister—always going around with her shirttail hanging out! :o :?
That's the epitome of disgracefulness!
donnie wrote:
This seems like an awfully long vacation if Barry has time to begin a new job and become a mechanic with regular hours in the interim. :)
I guess it's just a summer job. Three months is a long time! We've definitely hired people for just a season where I work. It seems strange, but I guess if the employer is desperate and the employee needs money, it's a perfect fit for a full timer (though being hired at full time at the get-go doesn't seem to happen much anymore).
donnie wrote:
Beans, beans, beans. :lol: I guess there were no hamburger joints nearby?
Maybe if he didn't stay at home and wait for people to call, he'd be hanging out with his friends. Go to the malt shop and meet up with people! Sheesh! :lol:

When Barry is in bed having his "this is the life" moment, I thought it was 10:20 in the evening.... apparently it's 10:20 in the morning if he's getting and making phone calls. Also, Barry wonders why none of his friends have called him. Has he been keeping the family vacation a secret? They must have, because a boy called for his sister. If I was going on a family vacation at that age, all my friends would know it. We always shared everything like that with each other.

Funny how Barry is instantly bored and needing to hang out with all his friends (but I guess they're just trying to make a point). My family went on a vacation one time, and I stayed at home alone and it was the best time ever! I'd just moved to a new place, and I didn't have anyone to call, but I felt like the week was just too short. I love my alone time.

And about the food thing, Barry should have asked his friend for a ride to the grocery store. After all, he let him borrow his tennis racket! :D

The most horrifying thing of this entire film is the fact that he threw the beans can into the garbage can without any bag! And why is the kitchen trash so small?! And why are they so stocked up on beans and tomato soup?! I think he has bigger problems a-stewing.

HA! :lol: Called it! I knew that stupid party was going to be cancelled. Serves him right.

I liked this film. Sorry it took so long for me to watch.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)