Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 pm
I finally got around to watching that little infomercial.... My goodness, that guy was sure fake in tone, don't you think? I don't like him one bit. The way his voice trailed was kind of creepy. I suppose this was a common marketing tone of voice? You're supposed to be persuaded to trust your salesman. I don't!
I bet your Chop-O-Matic cost more than 3.98. :lol: you should write to the company if they're still in existence and complain. baha ho ho. :ugeek:
Yes, mine cost more than $3.98 all right (but not all that much more, considering inflation). However, when it came I found a part was missing, the bottom-most sleeve. It still operates without it, but I can't put large things like eggs in it. I need to contact the seller and ask if they happen to have it...probably pointless though...

I didn't find him unlikable, but you know what his voice and delivery sounds like to me? A carnival barker or patent medicine salesman of the old days ("Step right up folks...tellya what I'm gonna do...."). I wonder if he learned his sales technique in an actual setting like that. Later on in the 80's and 90's, he had a more natural sales presentation on the Ronco informercials.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never heard of him. It would be I interesting to see other things he's advertised. Yes, that definitely was reminiscent of a carnival barker. I had the same thought!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm
I've never heard of him. It would be I interesting to see other things he's advertised. Yes, that definitely was reminiscent of a carnival barker. I had the same thought!

Here he is about...30, 35 years later. I'm addicted to old infomercials, especially the ones from the 90's—even if I'm not especially interested in the product. I don't know why I like watching them so much. :?:

Ron Popeil Pasta Maker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WMXyXBGpM

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oooooooh! I know that guy! It is kind of weird that I like to watch these, too. I used to LOVE watching them when I was younger, especially. I liked to watch QVC when I was younger, particularly seeing the ceramic dolls they would sell.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I loved watching QVC, as well. I liked it when they had electronics and exercise equipment. And I used to like the Craftsman Tool Hour and In the Kitchen with Bob.

My favorite Ronco infomercial is the one for the Six Star Knives. It also has Steve Bryant, who was on QVC as well. There are some hilarious rehashes of this infomercial on YouTube, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ZZ42Irxng

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here is a 1951 educational film called "Dining Together" all about how it should be on Thanksgiving Day. The narrator reminds me of that episode of the Twilight Zone called "It's A Good Life". It's a pretty straightforward short, and although the YouTube user labeled it a manners film, it's more just telling the kids what it will be like. I'm surprised they didn't mention God at all in this.
Mom doesn't look like a nice person. She looks very judgy. Notice the little boy's interest when Dad is carving the turkey. He'll do that when he's old enough! Also, I butter the whole piece of bread instead of having to go back multiple times. I think I'd use too much butter that way!
I do have a question, though. What was the mom lighting at the end? It looked like cake, but when they show it, I see nothing lit.

(edit: The YouTube video that I originally linked is deleted, so I'm replacing it with this.)
https://archive.org/details/DiningTo1951

donnie

Post by donnie »

All right! Another instructional film. Forgot about these goodies. :-)

They do say a prayer of thanks, but it's an awfully short one. Yes, it does look rather like the mother is -NOT- someone to be messed with, though the father is affable enough, and the children sweet as proverbial sugar. I think what she's lighting at the end is some sort of flaming dessert, something like cherries jubilee, maybe, made for the special occasion.

Now: do you think this is the original soundtrack on this one? I suspect not.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Why do you think it wouldn't be? Just curious.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, for one thing, the music is really odd—sounds like a silent film accompanist who is partially lost most of the time. :D It isn't the usual elevator or easy listening background kind of music you usually hear in films of this kind.

Also, the content of the narration and the narrator’s tone of voice sound suspiciously tongue-in-cheek in a poking-fun kind of way (see around 6:35-6:45, for example).

The poster is presenting it on YouTube as about Thanksgiving, but from the film title, I would bet that it is just a film on table manners in general with a fake soundtrack dubbed over maybe in an attempt to make a parody of some kind. I could be wrong. But if it is a fake, I’d like to hear what the original sounds like.

What do you think?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think it was kind of a weird video. I kind of thought maybe it was a more low budget affair, unlike Coronet which always had high quality videos. I'll watch it again to see what you mean and get back to you!