Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
Kitty

Re: Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:23 pm
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:32 pm
I feel like passing out when I allow someone to look at one of my antique books and they turn the pages like that. It's a great way to tear the pages and encourage them to crumble into dust. Top right corner, no spit on the fingers. Do I really need to teach adults how to handle books?! 🫨 😰
donnie wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:23 pm
I sometimes turn from the lower right.
That's acceptable. Wrong, but acceptable. 😆
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This seems to be a clip from another film, but it's still packed with info. From 1940, Beauty Tips for Girls with Glasses.

I actually liked the look of the first one when they switched faces.

And I think the biggest problem is that those glasses are ugly. 😂

https://youtu.be/vpv_B51YTjo
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That was an interesting clip.

First of all, I was surprised at the narrator's voice—it almost made this sound at first as if it were going to be one of those Goofy Movies poking-fun things; I'm glad it wasn't. :)
Kitty wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:53 am
I actually liked the look of the first one when they switched faces.
Neither of the drawings looked too great to me, though I could see what they were getting at.
Kitty wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:53 am
And I think the biggest problem is that those glasses are ugly. 😂
On that I'll have to disagree. :) I think that style is very attractive and looked pretty on her. But I didn't see that much difference when they changed the frames—they all looked so much alike.

Speaking of eyeglass styles of the '40's, I like those kind of octagonal rimless styles that were popular with men in that era, also.

And how do you like that big round mirror at the beginning? I love that style. I'd like to have one like that. (On the other hand, I don't know what I'd do with it.)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Coronet from 1951, Do Better On Your Examinations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdTkptEAKDs

A neat thing about this is that it is narrated by Dick York (later Bewitched's Darren No. 1). I've seen him acting in these, but never heard him narrate one.

As is so often the case in these films, Bob undergoes a miraculous, instant transformation. That teacher sure had the touch with that little talk. He goes from poor student to superstudent overnight. In fact, he even writes out answers to theoretical questions, just to practice question-answering technique—and then sets up a quiz game with friends to strategize a game plan for possible test items. :)

The thing is, if you went that far, would it really be possible to obey rule 3 about not worrying? I think anyone who placed that much emphasis on it would have to be tied in knots. What do you think? Is it possible to go at it that seriously, and yet not, well, take it too seriously?

Another one of those films that makes me rue my school days laziness and wish I had it to do over again! :? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Coronet from 1951, Do Better On Your Examinations
donnie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:40 pm
A neat thing about this is that it is narrated by Dick York (later Bewitched's Darren No. 1). I've seen him acting in these, but never heard him narrate one.
He's a funny choice, as he doesn't have a very smooth voice for narration.
donnie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:40 pm
The thing is, if you went that far, would it really be possible to obey rule 3 about not worrying? I think anyone who placed that much emphasis on it would have to be tied in knots. What do you think? Is it possible to go at it that seriously, and yet not, well, take it too seriously?
I think it's possible, though I'd definitely worry, too. It would have to come from a balance of confidence in yourself and knowing you did everything you could to prepare, and that's that. Sometimes I think kids are more worried about getting punished if they don't do well on a test than actually getting the bad grade.

Nice one! Makes me want to watch more.

donnie

Post by donnie »

From 1951 (which seems to have been a golden year for IF's :D): Snap Out of It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfYvODAD9w

I wonder why this boy is so extremely upset about the B. If he's that much of a perfectionist as his reaction would indicate, you wouldn't think his grades would run a steady stream of C's.

They are surprisingly lenient regarding the return of that report card. I’ve seen this actor playing the principal before, I think. His character always takes the gentle approach. And so does the father. But I wonder why they don't suggest he talk to the teacher to determine exactly why he didn't get what he expected.

I like that concept of channeling your emotional energy into a direct attack on your problem. The other two options he names are getting angry and saying What's the use? and giving up. I'm afraid I've often been guilty of the latter. Which of these three ways do you usually react?

Having said that, the boy throwing the lamp on the floor—I had to laugh because...just a few minutes before watching this, I'd gotten mad at a supplement bottle I couldn't open and... :roll: :oops: :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Control Your Emotions (Coronet, 1950)

https://youtu.be/j8SqUXpECtQ?si=SSo_MIzndEC6JzMZ

The psychologist looks familiar. (Maybe he’s been in other Coronet films?)

That seemed like kind of a silly trick, pouring the soda back and forth like that and spilling it all over the place. I didn’t understand exactly what he was trying to do. That being said, I know exactly how it feels to be frustrated when one thing after another goes wrong.

Do you ever project your anger onto objects? Seems silly, but I must admit I do at times (as I admitted above. :roll: )

Well, how do you like Joan’s dress? A little frilly, no? :)

Good advice toward the end. It reminds me of a quotation:
Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
- Robert G Ingersoll