Instructional Videos/Social Guidance Films

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
Kitty

Re: Instructional Videos/Teaching Films

Post by Kitty »

I really enjoyed that short.
It's sort of strange that neither of them realize they're going steady... Especially for the girl! When a girl likes someone, they definitely think about where it might go.
Also, Jeff's family likes to say the phrase 'quite a while' a lot.
Does it seem weird to you that the parents are encouraging dating a lot of different people? I never got the dating talk, as I didn't have my first date 'til I was 24. It seems like such a nice time to be a teenager and having a social life the way these kids seem to. I wonder if it really was quite the way tv and movies portray it? Was life back then really as thoughtful as it seems?
This video seems to have some sound issues. It almost seems like it had been done in the 30s! I guess it would be sort of typical for a low budget film to have this quality.
How did you find this one? There must be so many more of these films we haven't seen!! I think it's great that so many of these still exist.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I’m glad you liked it! :D Yes, there are tons of good ones. I’ve got several cued to watch, and I’ll post another.

Yes, it does seem a little odd that neither of the steadies realizes they are steadies. It’s also odd how this story meanders around without really getting anywhere. :) Still fun to watch, though.

As for the accuracy, I think for sure it’s probably highly idealistic, though society was—in some ways—not so far from that ideal. The scene between Jeff and his father seemed pretty improbable. I never got the dating talk either (though I could probably have used one); my parents just sort of left me to figure those things out for myself.

I think it was considered “healthy” (less dangerous??) to “play the field” back in those days. That was always foreign to me. I wasn’t interested in casual dating that clearly didn’t have any future, but I get the idea that’s what was definitely encouraged in that time, don’t you?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think casual dating is what must have been encouraged, too. But how many friends did one have not to go out with the same girl twice in a row, as Jeff states his father would have been worried about a couple years ago?
Speaking of 'a couple years ago' in this scenario, I'm guessing these kids are around 17. How early was dating acceptable back then? And it sure seems that these dates are unchaperoned. I kind of thought even dating at 15 is young nowadays.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:34 am
Speaking of 'a couple years ago' in this scenario, I'm guessing these kids are around 17. How early was dating acceptable back then? And it sure seems that these dates are unchaperoned. I kind of thought even dating at 15 is young nowadays.
Yeah, I didn't notice that. I would think 15 would have been considered a little young back then, too. Although—when you think about it, it wasn't unusual to be getting married at 18 or 19 back then, either. So maybe they did date younger?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 am
Although—when you think about it, it wasn't unusual to be getting married at 18 or 19 back then, either. So maybe they did date younger?
That makes sense. You're probably right!

donnie

Post by donnie »

This one is pretty funny—especially the middle part where he collapses at the party. This features Dick York, who would go on to fame as Darrin in Bewitched.
Rest and Health
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcNC8s4ROao

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one is not old, but it is very interesting and sometimes humorous. It tells all about what ASMR is.
What The Heck Is ASMR
https://youtu.be/vFqbWwKg_o4

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, very interesting. That's a new term for me, too.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:20 pm
Yes, very interesting. That's a new term for me, too.
Really? Glad to have taught you something!! 😄

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Easy Does It (1954), put it out by The American Council On Education, is an interesting instructional video about how a nurse should treat their bed-ridden patients.

https://av.lib.uh.edu/media_objects/cf95jb53r