Public Service Announcements

You can put interesting old PSA's and Instructional videos here. Anything similar!
donnie

Re: Public Service Announcements

Post by donnie »

That was quite interesting! It seems unusual that Daly, a national news figure, would be recruited to do this film for just one region of New Jersey (though a heavily populated one). And I wonder whether a lot of those things still exist, like the visiting nurses. I highly doubt it; I guess expansion of federal government programs replaced a lot of those areas of activity.

Wow, that dysfunctional family... If I were the mother, I would be tempted to take the girl and run away as fast as my crutches would carry me. I'd leave the gambling father to look after the two hellacious boys. :lol:

The beating heart...ok, I'm a wimp, but I could only look at that about 5 seconds before I had to put my hand over the screen. It didn't help that I was eating lunch at the time... :? :lol:

I think that was an ice cream soda at the end.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one is a little strange. You can tell they had a relatively large budget with this one, because it takes minutes to get to the point. Dick Van Dyke is the spokesperson for Before It's Too Late (1964). This is a Public Service reminder to wear your seatbelt. It's a strange thought that back then they only had lap belts. All that did was keep you from being thrown forward! There's some kind of frightening footage toward the end with crash test dummies, even child dummies. I wonder if the story that Dick tells is true. And I can't remember ever complaining about having to wear a seat belt except when I was a child and too short for the shoulder belt, resulting in scraping of the neck.

https://youtu.be/CiK_cZuw1Fw
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Man, that's a pretty scary film. I think seat belts were a hard sell to the public (kind of like the harms of cigarettes) because people had driven without them all their lives, and perhaps thought they were unnecessary and confining, as DVD said. But that crash scene should have been pretty effective at convincing people.

As far as the film itself, it does seem to be rather aimless and meandering at the beginning and end. And in the part where DVD is talking while driving, he looks a little uncomfortable. He's more convincing in the part where he's standing outside.

The music at around 11:40 sounds a lot like the theme of Route 66. :-) Did you ever see those reruns on TV Land?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:25 pm
And in the part where DVD is talking while driving, he looks a little uncomfortable. He's more convincing in the part where he's standing outside.
It just seems fake while he's driving. The scenes in the car remind me of the Jerry Seinfeld show on HBO called Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. Just weird, forced and fake.
donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:25 pm
The music at around 11:40 sounds a lot like the theme of Route 66. :-) Did you ever see those reruns on TV Land?
Unfortunately, I've never seen the show. I actually don't even know what it's about! 😶
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've never seen that much of it, either (except for one *unbelievable* episode starring Tuesday Weld :shock: ). It was very popular for awhile, I believe, in the early '60's.

I was looking for a good video of the cool instrumental opening theme, which I think was a hit in its own right, but couldn't really find one. Anyway, as one of the video descriptions summed up the show, "Two young men drive around the US working at odd jobs, helping people, and searching for adventure."

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:11 am
Anyway, as one of the video descriptions summed up the show, "Two young men drive around the US working at odd jobs, helping people, and searching for adventure."
That actually sounds like a good premise.

It's funny. I wouldn't have even known who you were talking about when you mentioned Tuesday Weld if I hadn't see her interview with Dick Cavett LAST WEEK. It's funny when things like that happen, don't you think? I mean, if you'd have mentioned her two weeks ago, I wouldn't have been familiar with the name at all.

Was the episode unbelievable in a good way, or was it just outlandish? I googled the episode, and it seemed like it could have been a creepy one.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, that is a coincidence about Tuesday. :) (And cool name.)

Yes, it is creepy. Check out the first two minutes. (This also has the theme I was referring to.)
ROUTE 66 TV S2 E25 "Love is a Skinny Kid" [opening scene]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7td9jhDMLo&t=

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast? (1972)
This is an odd little video, designed to create discussion. What do you think?
I love the air of these later 1970s videos. The music is always great, and the clothing and other sets are always intriguing. What in the world is that poster behind her bed of the children with mud on their faces?
https://youtu.be/3FBoQnlr5r4

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 am
I'd like to hear the discussion, because I have no idea what the answer would be. :) Maybe she's just not in the habit? I guess the answer you're supposed to come up with must have something to do with milk, since this was made by the National Dairy Council. :P But she already turned down the idea of cereal with milk, so I'm not sure...
Kitty wrote:
I love the air of these later 1970s videos. The music is always great, and the clothing and other sets are always intriguing.
Yes! I dig the look and feel of these. They do have a special quality. You can tell this is a groovy late '70's one right from the beginning with the ticking alarm clock.
Kitty wrote:
What in the world is that poster behind her bed of the children with mud on their faces?
I'm stumped on that one. It's weird. I even took a screenshot and tried to image search it, but didn't get much result, understandably. By the way, looks like the whole video is flipped left/right, judging from the SAVE OUR [TREES, I guess] poster at 1:15.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 am
Kitty wrote:
I'd like to hear the discussion, because I have no idea what the answer would be.
Some people on YouTube seem to think it's supposed to strike up a discussion on eating disorders. Others disagreed, saying that that wasn't a subject that would have been talked about as early as 1972. But you made a comment about thinking it was late 70s with the background music, so do you really that that this may be a bit of a later video? Or are they wrong in saying that it wouldn't be a topic of discussion as early as 1972? Obviously, I have no idea what they would have talked about, not living through the time period.