What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Fun and Games!
Kitty

What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Post by Kitty »

Right now I'm obsessed with Roots of Lore by Caitlin Brehm. It investigates origins of fairy tales, speaking to scholars in the field, and shares multiple incarnations of the tales.

She hasn't made an episode since 2020, but I asked her about it on Twitter, and she says she's planning on more episodes 'coming soon'! :D It's really a quality, informative podcast, fueling my hunger for fairy tales while also sparking my creativity that, frankly, has been a little dormant as of late.

Look it up on your favorite podcast app!

What have you been listening to?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: What Podcasts Do You Listen To?

Post by donnie »

That does sound like an interesting one.

The only podcasts I've listened to lately were a portion of Discovering the Word, a Christian podcast, and iOS Today, a techie one aimed at users of Apple devices.

I'm subscribed to bazillions of them, but hardly ever listen, as YouTube takes up about all the time I'd be spending on those. iOS Today is really the only one I could say I listen to fairly regularly (and even it's also on YouTube. :) )

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This article tickles my love of urban legends and horror lore! You can read the transcript, or listen, but I would suggest listening, since it's only 9 minutes long, anyway!

Come along, and learn how to play Hitori Kakurenbo, or Hide and Seek By Yourself. :)

https://uncannyjapan.com/podcast/hitori-kakurenbo/
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's strange. I'm sure there are lots of kids that scare themselves silly with it. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm
That's strange. I'm sure there are lots of kids that scare themselves silly with it. :D
Yes! I only wonder how you'd get a static channel nowadays.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:19 am
Use a YouTube re-creation, such as this (though TV static may have been a little different; can't remember what that sounds like—it may have been just plain white noise, which there is plenty of on YouTube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iL1Ce1PZFM

Although this one like this might work even better. And if you've got a shortwave, it's easy to get these kinds of sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn7WA3v_GyA

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:11 am
Kitty wrote:
Use a YouTube re-creation, such as this (though TV static may have been a little different; can't remember what that sounds like—it may have been just plain white noise, which there is plenty of on YouTube).
But that wouldn't give room for channels to change, since it's not a TV channel.

Obviously I don't believe in any of this, but if I wanted to pretend, I'd still want it to be as authentic as possible. 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:39 pm
donnie wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:11 am
Kitty wrote:
But that wouldn't give room for channels to change, since it's not a TV channel.

Obviously I don't believe in any of this, but if I wanted to pretend, I'd still want it to be as authentic as possible. 🙂
Mais oui! :)

Speaking of this, have you ever heard sounds within sounds? I.e., when an air conditioner or fan is running, you think you can hear voices in it? I can remember sometimes lying in bed at night, and being sure I heard a conversation going on in the white noise of the furnace fan going. (It's not Cuddles, just an aural illusion. ;))

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Speaking of this, have you ever heard sounds within sounds? I.e., when an air conditioner or fan is running, you think you can hear voices in it? I can remember sometimes lying in bed at night, and being sure I heard a conversation going on in the white noise of the furnace fan going. (It's not Cuddles, just an aural illusion. ;))
I haven't, but definitely have been about to fall asleep and thought I heard my mom's voice calling me. That hasn't happened since I was a teenager, though. It's pretty weird how your brain does that stuff.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:43 am
I haven't, but definitely have been about to fall asleep and thought I heard my mom's voice calling me. That hasn't happened since I was a teenager, though. It's pretty weird how your brain does that stuff.
Yes! I've had that happen, too. And it seems like it was usually my mother, too, calling my name so clearly. Sleep is such a strange thing.

And I know I'm veering more off-topic, but have you ever had this happen? There's a loud noise while you're asleep, and you incorporate the noise into your dream. But the really weird thing is, it's like you had foreknowledge of the sound in your dream.

Example: Maybe in your dream, you see something about to fall off a shelf, and you say "Oh no!" and jump up and go running across the room, but don't get there in time and it bangs to the floor. Then you wake up and realize the sound you heard in your sleep was actually someone slamming a door. But...how could you have known the noise was going to occur in your dream before it happened so that you somehow built up to it??

Now THAT is strange. I've had it happen a number of times.