Hobbies (besides movies)

Fun and Games!
Mrs. Danvers

Hobbies (besides movies)

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:42 pm

I've been doing genealogy on my family and my husbands for a few years now, but it really took off when I retired and had hours to spend if i wanted to, tracking stuff down.
The best site, hands down, for absolutely free information, is Family Search Church of the Later Day Saints, no kidding. They don't want a thing from you, just happy to help the world get as much free information as possible. They have an absolutely massive amount of information.
The other sites have bought up tons of public records, but not all of them, now we have to pay them for us to look at what was once public and available to anybody, as it should be. So I refuse to join one of those sites. but here is the free site. And certainly not all records are blocked and unviewable, you'd be surprised.

https://www.familysearch.org/

I can't even begin to bore you with some of the fascinating (to me) things I have uncovered. But my a 14th Great grandpa was a Ship Captain who commanded one of Sir Francis Drake's ships, he circumvented the globe with Drake and was even talked about as being one of Drakes most trusted Captains. But unfortunately on one of their pirate raids, them being the pirates of Queen Elizabeth the I, Grandpa was killed in a fierce battle in Cartagena, Columbia and buried there.
Anyway, turns out during my endless researching, my 14th Great Grandpa the ship Captain, is also my husband's 14th great grandpa. Holy cow!! is all I could say.

You can really find out some astounding things about your family with not much effort at all. My first relatives here landed in 1635. And I can trace them all the way, mostly because they are well known back east because they are some of the founders of Hartford, Connecticut. And extremely good records of the family were kept over the centuries. But nobody knew anything about any of this, until last year when I stared really actively searching we could never get past our great great grandpa.

Anyway, it's a good hobby that doesn't cost a thing. And who knows who you might dig up.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Re: Hobbies (besides movies)

Post by donnie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm

:o That is fascinating! It’s amazing that you’ve able to trace that. So how does that make you feel knowing you have some of that blood in your veins? :) I’m definitely going to bookmark that site for future investigation. My brother has done a little genealogical research, but not nearly to the extent you have.

Most of my hobbies involve music in some way—playing a little classical guitar, collecting and comparing recordings of classical works, singing in the church choir. And I think I’m about to take up recorder playing. I’ve been eyeing some nice tenor recorders on ebay (the tenor is in the key of C and so I would be able to play along with my daughter’s piano playing). So far I’ve resisted because I’ve already spent so much this month—but I may be rapidly weakening. ;)

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:27 pm

That is so cool, Deb!!! Thanks for sharing. I love collecting and reading antique books and blogging about them and maintaining this forum! I read Motion Picture Story Magazine at my leisure, and love doing research on silent film stars and my antique books. Another hobby is sleeping. Zzzzz
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 am

Music and movies, doesn't get better than that. I still look at my old movie star books alot, I never tire of looking at those fabulous faces. As Normand Desmond exclaimed..."We had faces then!"

Donnie life is short buy a tenor recorder. And bad as the "gentlemen pirates" of Queen Elizabeth were, I do find it exciting, but I also found relatives who had huge plantations in Barbados, one day i noticed that one great great whatever grandpa was married in 1637 in Barbados and 30 years later his son was married in Barbados, so they weren't just visiting. How did that happen?! oh dear then I found out. They were in the sugar and slave trade, for several generations. :shock:

If either one of you want me to do any searching for a relative(s), send me a message, I gladly do it and get you started. You might be as astounded as me. I'll share something else, hope this is not boring. If any of your relatives came from Great Britain they are much easier to trace, records go back so far sometimes it is unbelievable.
What astounds me the most is how all of this information gets lost over time, how little we know of our own past.

While digging into another branch of my family tree I discovered something else.

President Abraham Lincoln's Grandpa, Captain Abraham Lincoln, is also my 6th Great Grandpa. President Lincoln's father Thomas had a sister, Mary Ada, Lincoln's beloved Aunt Mary, and she is my 5th great grandmother.

Abraham Lincoln (May 13, 1744 – May 1786) was the grandfather of the 16th U.S. president, Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was a military captain during the American Revolution, and a pioneer settler of Kentucky.

Well you sure don't know what you will find when tracing back into your family. Last year I got all excited when I found an Uncle and a few great great Grandpa's fought in the Civil War. I even found a cousin on-line on a civil war forum, we share our great great Grandpa Lavern. And I was then able to fill in huge holes in our family history and I was able to clear up a few mysteries for him.

My great great grandpa Lavern Stanton, was in Company H 36th Illinois Volunteer Infantry and his brother Tolmus Stanton, who was also in the 36th Illinois Infantry, Tolmus was killed Dec 31 1862 at Stones River Georgia. He is buried there.

One interesting thing about our family, Tolmus Stanton was engaged to a woman named Lydia and they were to be married after the war, sadly Tolmus was killed in battle at Stones River, but then Lavern married Lydia after the war and here I sit writing about it.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow! :o That is fascinating. What an interesting group of people you have in your line. It's amazing, also, that you were able to find all that out. I can see how learning things like that spurred you on to want to find out more.

My father's side does come from England (Lancashire, I believe), and my mother's side is mostly Scottish. My brother several years ago traced my father's side back to somewhere in the late 1700's and then hit a stumbling block. And then somebody on my mother's side was supposed to have been a cousin of Woodrow Wilson. I've forgotten the details; if I can dig that stuff out again, I might send you a PM. :)

You know, it is a strange thing to think about the fact that each of us is so isolated from what came before. I have no idea who my great-great grandparents are, what their names are, what they looked like...and I came from them. Isn't that strange to think about? We have not done a good job in our culture of preserving where we came from. I think that's why what you are doing would have to be so fulfilling in giving you a real sense of identity. I mean that's something, to know that you and Lincoln are kin!

I'll have to look up Stones River. I don't think it's anywhere in my area, as no Civil War action happened in this part of Georgia.

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 am
Donnie life is short buy a tenor recorder.
Done! Image

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:18 pm

I think I'd use that search engine to put together the line of a silent movie star... Or even maybe someone who wrote their name in one of my antique books. ☺️
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:58 am

That's a fun idea Kitty.

I too find it absolutely astounding how little most all of us know about our past, most of us can't even get past our grandparents and great grandparents. I don't know if it's because we are a nation of immigrants or what. But in my case and my husband as well, we have had "our people" here since the early 1600's. I've had numerous, I mean a lot, of ancestors who fought in every war since King Phillip's War of 1675. I'm too lazy to join the Daughters of the American Revolution, but I would have no problem.

Donnie here is Stones River National Battlefield.

https://www.nps.gov/stri/index.htm

That's where Tolmus was killed, my Grandpa that survived was on Sherman's march to the sea. I found a letter on-line that my Great Great Grandpa Lavern wrote to his sister during the war, I've seen the letter, somebody bought it and I might have tracked down the owner of the letter. He said he would look for it, he has a large Civil War collection.
I'd love to help anybody to get started, or atleast spur you on. It is really fascinating stuff and honestly you will never know what you might find out.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks for the link to the battlefield-very interesting!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Other than silent film, I love music. Playing it on the guitar, singing it, listening to it. I love 60s music and rock and roll. Just look at my Grace Slick signature, lol.

I alos love animation, to the point that I believe we're in a golden era for animation in general. We have some great shows from this decade (Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and I've been getting into Adventure Time lately).

This will sound horrible, but I've personally never been very interested in my own ancestry. I only know the first names of one set of my great-grandparents. I know my nationality and ethnicity(-ies?), and that's enough for me.

Which is actually kinda weird, because I love reading about history in general.
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!
Go ride the music!

donnie

Post by donnie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Other than silent film, I love music. Playing it on the guitar, singing it, listening to it. I love 60s music and rock and roll. Just look at my Grace Slick signature, lol.
What kind of guitar do you play, and in what style?