One of my favorites from Emerson.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 8.38.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 8.38.35 AM.png (58.08 KiB) Viewed 2870 times

Kitty

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by Kitty »

I like that a lot.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Love it!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

"Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears."
- Rudyard Kipling

:)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's too true, and many times we listen to those lies.

Recently I read one I really liked (though more thought provoking than inspirational) from Henry David Thoreau - "The savage in man is never quite eradicated." He wrote this is in his journal for September 26, 1859. It's great for Halloween, though, because this is the rest of it -

"The savage in man is never quite eradicated. I have just read of a family in Vermont who, several of its members having died of consumption, just burned the lungs, heart, and liver of the last deceased, in order to prevent any more from having it."

A little background: When multiple members of a family were prone to consumption back in the good old days, there was a superstition where they thought that their relatives were coming back to infect them with consumption so that the living could join them. As a result, they'd desecrate the bodies so that they could do things such as the above. This brand of fear of the sickly dead coming back to get people is linked to the superstition of vampirism. The superstition/tradition lasted a long time, though, because one of the best documented cases of this is that of Mercy Brown, over 40 years later. She died of consumption, and they burned Mercy's heart and liver, mixed ashes and water to create a some kind of tonic, and it was given to family member Edwin to cure him of the disease. Big surprise! It didn't work, and Edwin died two months later.

All of this is probably much more than you wanted to know about any of this. Have a nice day! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

My goodness, that's amazing! Ghastly, but interesting; I'd never heard that.

I love Thoreau. I was just thinking the other day how I ought to reread Walden. (Actually, I'm not sure if I ever quite finished it.) I have a lot of Thoreau quotes in my quotations database.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:11 pm
My goodness, that's amazing! Ghastly, but interesting; I'd never heard that.

I love Thoreau. I was just thinking the other day how I ought to reread Walden. (Actually, I'm not sure if I ever quite finished it.) I have a lot of Thoreau quotes in my quotations database.
I'm not very familiar with him, though I was listening to a podcast about the history of the vampire superstition, and this quote was in it. Folklore can be a very fascinating subject.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I ran across this graphic somewhere recently and thought it had some pretty good advice for the new year. And by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! :D
Attachments
7 Lovely Logics.jpg
7 Lovely Logics.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:49 pm
I ran across this graphic somewhere recently and thought it had some pretty good advice for the new year. And by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! :D
This is so nice! Thank you.

donnie

Post by donnie »

"As we look for new answers in the modern age, I for one prefer the tried and tested recipes, like speaking well of each other and respecting different points of view; coming together to seek out the common ground; and never losing sight of the bigger picture."
-Queen Elizabeth II