Quote of the Day

Fun and Games!
donnie

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by donnie »

Wow. You certainly get your money's worth with that one. Some wonderful, if mystical, imagery.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Wow. You certainly get your money's worth with that one. Some wonderful, if mystical, imagery.
These books are definitely treasures. I love them.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I don't know where I ran across this one or who said it.

"Today is unique! It has never occurred before and it will never be repeated. At midnight it will end, quickly, suddenly, totally. Forever. But the hours between now and then are opportunities with eternal possibilities."
-unknown

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I like that one!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Good one! The Wizard of Oz is full of great lines.

donnie

Post by donnie »

“It is said that for money you can have everything, but you cannot. You can buy food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; knowledge, but not wisdom; glitter, but not beauty; fun, but not joy; acquaintances, but not friends; servants, but not faithfulness; leisure, but not peace. You can have the husk of everything for money, but not the kernel.”
- Arne Garborg

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

"Please don’t make the mistake of thinking the arts and sciences are at odds with one another. That is a recent, stupid, and damaging idea. You don’t have to be unscientific to make beautiful art, to write beautiful things.

If you need proof: Twain, Adams, Vonnegut, McEwen, Sagan, Shakespeare, Dickens. For a start.

You don’t need to be superstitious to be a poet. You don’t need to hate GM technology to care about the beauty of the planet. You don’t have to claim a soul to promote compassion.

Science is not a body of knowledge nor a system of belief; it is just a term which describes humankind’s incremental acquisition of understanding through observation. Science is awesome." - Tim Minchin

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's very thought-provoking. We do have that artificial and harmful distinction between science and the arts. It applies to religious belief, too. So many times, Christians dismiss science and scientists dismiss Christianity, as if the two were mutually exclusive. :?

Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.
- Niccol Machiavelli

donnie

Post by donnie »

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble.
- Rudyard Kipling