Your experience with the eclipse?

Fun and Games!
donnie

Your experience with the eclipse?

Post by donnie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 am

It was great here! We had about 97-98% totality and a clear sky.

I've seen one other eclipse before, and one thing that has struck me both times was the weirdness of the ambient light. The light level is like that of twilight or sunrise, but is coming from directly above—most strange. And it's surprising that it takes over three hours for the eclipse to occur, but total or near total darkness lasts for only a minute or two.

A couple of other observations:
I was sitting out on the patio watching and when it began to darken significantly, one of our cats, Anya, came up and sat near me and kept looking around. I could tell she was nervous and confused. I could hear a lot of voices off in the neighborhood of people cheering the eclipse, so maybe she was reacting to that, too.

Also, I have some cinnamon basil and other herbs in pots, and I noticed that the nocturnal moths came out immediately and began feeding on the basil blooms, and then went back into hiding as soon as it began to lighten up. I guess they were confused, too. :)

And then about a half hour afterwards, the big traffic flow started. I think everyone in metro Atlanta must have hit the road to see it total.

Kitty

Re: Your experience with the eclipse?

Post by Kitty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 am

We went to a cabin in the mountains in N. Georgia. It was so amazing and beautiful. We had eclipse glasses, so we were able to look as it got closer and closer to totality. As time went on, we made jokes, "Oh! There's the man in the sun!" "We've got Pacman status!" :lol:
The white light of totality was something you need to experience to really appreciate. The temperature cooled down to almost chilly, the birds stopped chirping, and there was a beautiful peaceful silence of the mountains. We could not have asked for more perfect weather. What made it super special for me was as totality came, you could hear people from other cabins cheering in the distance. It was like for just a few minutes the world became one beautiful positive vibe. That is what happiness is.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Your experience with the eclipse?

Post by donnie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 pm

That is great, Kitty! I'm glad you got to experience it so well, and I love the way you describe it! My wife also made the remark that, with all the trouble and unrest we've had in this country lately, it was indeed like all of that just stopped for one positive moment.