Miscellaneous Funnies

Fun and Games!
Kitty

Re: Miscellaneous Funnies

Post by Kitty »

Important Detail

Mantua-maker to young lady: "How do you want your waist made?"---"In this new style, of course! I want it to look as if it was about to drop off of me, but of course it mustn't."

This one's a little weird. I had to look up the term 'Mantua-maker' and, apparently it was an early term for dressmaker.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I always kind of wondered why authors sometimes would censor place names. Kind of weird?

Paid With Kisses

A man in D---- who deeply loves his wife, but awfully careless about money matters, started away on a long business trip leaving her short of money, and promised to send her a check, which he forgot to do. The rent came due and she telegraphed: “Dead broke. Landlord inconsistent. Wire me money.” Her husband answered: “Am short myself. Will send check in few days. A thousand kisses.”--- Exasperated she replied; “Never mind money. I gave landlord part of the kisses you wired me. He was more than satisfied.”
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Yes, the mantua one is a little strange. I guess you had to be there. :) (i.e., in that time)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:02 pm
:lol: Yes, the mantua one is a little strange. I guess you had to be there. :) (i.e., in that time)
I think it might have been more amusing if we had more of an idea of women's fashions in the tens. I'm pretty sure this is when dress waists were starting to get looser. I think the joke was supposed to be the fact that she felt she had to specify that she didn't really want it to fall off. Still weird. :?

Stay tuned for more head scratchers as I post one a day until the whole book is typed out. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's one of those said "head-scratchers". I'm not 100% sure if this is dirty, so if it is, let me know. I'll delete it. :lol: :?

Presto Change

A man by the name of Stone, while walking along the street some time ago, met a man by the name of Wood, and while exchanging a few pleasantries, a woman, dressed in a peculiarly noticeable, sheath gown, passed by. Instantaneously, Stone turned to Wood and Wood turned to Stone then both turned to rubber.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I have an inkling maybe it is, but I'm not 100% sure, either. (Maybe 78-79%?) :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm
I have an inkling maybe it is, but I'm not 100% sure, either. (Maybe 78-79%?) :lol:
Well, since you're not sure, either, I'm leaving it. :lol:

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Could be, though I think that maybe the double entendré of them turning to each other might not have been intended to be that deep :lol: Then again, this was two decades or so after Russell Hunting (and a couple others) recorded several explicit jokes and stories onto wax cylinders, so, who knows...
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Tit-Bits (1884)
Attachments
225576120_4227135620657283_8319400213328339045_n.jpg
225576120_4227135620657283_8319400213328339045_n.jpg (238.35 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ready for a Circus

“Are you the trained nurse mamma said was coming?” asked Freddie.---- “Yes, dear, I’m a trained nurse.”---- “Well, then,” says Freddie, “Let’s see some of your tricks.”

:?: :? :roll: