What Have You Gotten Lately?

Fun and Games!
Mrs. Danvers

Re: What Have You Gotten Lately?

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13 am

A lot of it must come from whatever part of the country you were brought up in as well. I wonder if city people use the expression " in my neck of the woods".

Re the Jenny Lind crib, I also discovered yesterday part of it would make a dandy garden gate, but then I couldn't make much of a bench. I had the entire thing all apart and got the ends back together. There isn't one nail or screw, it's all wooden pegs, I got so EXASPERATED at one point I also thought it would make a real dandy campfire.

Anyhoo I set it aside for a bit because we are also fixing up our tool shed/Cabin/junk catch-all building. And now we are heading into a major heat wave, temps expected in the triple digits, so we aren't going to be doing squat for a few days.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 am

:lol: You'll have to wait til it cools off to build that campfire.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:42 pm

I hate the heat! I know, bad place to be for that!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Well, I guess you get some breezes off the ocean?

Strange weather here. A cold front came through, which is unusual here for this time of year. The sky is deep blue and the air crystal clear and dry, but—it's still hot. :x Intensely hot in the sun, though it's cool in the shade. And we're parched, need rain badly.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:10 am

We are majorly parched as well We have gone 44 days without rain and are set to make some records. the all time high was 55 days in 1951.

Yes Donnie, if we get wind from the coast it's called an off shore flow, but none of that happening now or the next few days, we are getting some smoke from the big fires in British Columbia, but they don't think they will reach where we live, mostly north of Seattle.

I think in Seattle, well Western Washington, we have more names for rain. It isn't called called Rain City for nothing. We get stuff like, drizzle, mist, sprinkle, showers, rain, downpours, "start building an Ark" and occasional thundershowers. Oh and FOG.

So a "normal" forecast could be like this: Except now the forecast is HOT.
This morning expect a slight drizzle, some areas might see a mist that later in the morning turning to a sprinkle, while some areas expect a shower or two, turning to rain later in the day, followed by some downpours. And on the Peninsula expect it to be raining so hard you will be saying, 'Man this rain is Epic".

Our town motto is: Below the snow, above the fog.
We live above the valley and many mornings it is socked in by dense fog, we can leave our house and drive about 10 miles and be in pea soup.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am

All sounds pretty delightful to me right now! :) Hope you don't get that smoke from BC. That reminds me that this time last year, we were having horrible problems with smoke from fires in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains. It went on for weeks and was actually dangerous to go outside. :(

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 am

donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am
All sounds pretty delightful to me right now! :) Hope you don't get that smoke from BC. That reminds me that this time last year, we were having horrible problems with smoke from fires in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains. It went on for weeks and was actually dangerous to go outside. :(
It sounds good to me too, I'd like some of it, even a slight drizzle. "They" said last night that no rain is in sight for all of August, which is a stretch I think since it's only Aug 3rd today.

We are getting the smoke now too, but in our particular area it's just a haze, enough so we can't see Mt. Rainier and last evening the Sun was just a glowing red ball.

We've been in eastern Washington before when there have been large wildfires going on and you can barely see to drive the smoke is so thick, everybody is running around with bandanas on their faces. It's really grim stuff. as you know first hand. We have all sorts of warnings now too. I'm going for a bike ride in a bit and see how that goes.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Just got a new book. I'd been considering buying it for awhile, but finally decided to pull the trigger after reading about it on Lea's Silentology page. She has a nice review of it, and also interviewed the author, Steve Massa!
I'm looking forward to perusing it.
Attachments
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 164 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Neat!!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:04 pm

It's a little expensive, but worth it, I think. It's a big thick book with over 400 photos, and information on everybody imaginable. Massa really did a good job assembling that mass of information.