The Innocents 1961

This is where we can put reviews for photoplay created after the silent era.
Mrs. Danvers

The Innocents 1961

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

It was only the wind, my dear.

Just that line from the film gives me goose bumps and the shudders. It's the kind of movie you simply must watch on a dark and stormy night, with the lights down low or perhaps even off, I can see myself curled up on the end of a couch or huddled up in a chair with a nice quilt to hide behind, but quite frankly I could watch this movie on a bright sunny day and still it would have me almost wetting myself. :lol:

The suspense just slowly builds and builds and sucks you right in. The Innocents is on many favorite horror movies lists and at the top or near it. Yet there is no gore or any violence. It's all atmosphere, brilliant film making at it's best.

Anyway with Halloween coming up I just wanted to mentioned a real corker of a scary movie. The little boy Martin Stephens, who plays Miles, also was one of the creepy blonde kids in The Village of The Damned, 1960.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/

https://youtu.be/aOsF0S65RR0
Last edited by Mrs. Danvers on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Re: The Innocents 1961

Post by Kitty »

Oh, wow! I've heard of that movie, but I I've never seen it. Thanks for the suggestion and trailer. I'll definitely be watching that before
Halloween!!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 pm
Oh, wow! I've heard of that movie, but I I've never seen it. Thanks for the suggestion and trailer. I'll definitely be watching that before
Halloween!!
Oh excellent. It's a treasured part of my movie collection and I'll be watching it again soon.

another corker of a movie is The Uninvited, 1944 with a favorite actor of mine, Ray Milland but it really boasts a stellar cast over all.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037415/?re ... mg_act_113

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just watched The Innocents, and WOW! I don't think I've ever gotten a spooky feeling from a movie this old. My favorite parts are the ones where Mrs. Jessel is shown. I loved some of the lines, too, like the one where Flora is saying how Mrs. Gross closes her eyes in the dark. The direction and camera work is so well done. I'd definitely watch this again. Thank you for opening my eyes to such a wonderful movie!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 am
I just watched The Innocents, and WOW! I don't think I've ever gotten a spooky feeling from a movie this old. My favorite parts are the ones where Mrs. Jessel is shown. I loved some of the lines, too, like the one where Flora is saying how Mrs. Gross closes her eyes in the dark. The direction and camera work is so well done. I'd definitely watch this again. Thank you for opening my eyes to such a wonderful movie!
Oh I'm "hugging" you. Outstanding, you make me so happy. I wish I could have watched it with you.

Spooky is indeed the right word for this movie. I can just think about a few of the numerous creepy, haunting scenes and get goosebumps. When Miss Giddens begins to see things. Peter Quint at the window. :o :shock: and the figure out at the pond...I have goosebumps right now.

You mention Mrs. Grose (Megs Jenkins) weird, last night we watched Green for Danger, about the 10th time for me, and Megs Jenkins is one of the stars of that film. It's a real corker of a murder mystery set during World War II in England. Alastair Simms plays an Inspector from Scotland Yard and his is brilliant, as always.

This is perhaps one of THE best murder mysteries I have ever watched, partly insomuch as it keeps you guessing right up to the very last minute of the film. And I can watch British films all day any day.

https://www.criterion.com/films/815-green-for-danger

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am
Oh I'm "hugging" you. Outstanding, you make me so happy. I wish I could have watched it with you.
I'm glad to make you feel so happy! I know the exact feeling when someone actually praises something you love!
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am
I can just think about a few of the numerous creepy, haunting scenes and get goosebumps. When Miss Giddens begins to see things. Peter Quint at the window. :o :shock: and the figure out at the pond...I have goosebumps right now.
It's cool, because even my husband commented on the first appearance of Quint. He does not like old movies at all, and he thought that scene was interesting.

I'll check out that other movie. Thanks for adding a new favorite to my 'list'!

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I'm glad your hubby liked some of it. The movie creeps him out a lot too, I like to keep our curtains completely closed at night. :o :shock:

I sure know what you mean about how it makes you feel when somebody else actually likes something you like a lot too.

Last night when we watched Green for Danger it was the first time my husband really just sat and watched the movie and he was quite enjoying it and completely caught up in the suspense.