A Florida Enchantment (1914)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
donnie

A Florida Enchantment (1914)

Post by donnie »

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere, this is a film I’ve been interested in seeing for a long time, and now that I have, courtesy of Dustin at Harpodeon, I’ll say I was definitely not disappointed. What a delightful and interesting comedy!

My comments:
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Re: A Florida Enchantment (1914)

Post by Kitty »

I really liked this film, and though it's a full length film, it sure doesn't feel like it!
► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Glad you liked it. :)
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:40 pm
Glad you liked it. :)
Kitty wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am
I thought the lighting and tints were gorgeous, especially in the curiosity shop. Some scenes in the movie looked fairy-like.
I thought about you when I saw that curiosity shop. That looks like your kind of place. :) It also looked like something from an earlier era, especially from the outside. But I guess there were actually curio shops that looked that way in 1914.
I wondered if that was a real curio shop. I also wondered if they called them antique shops... Is that was a curiosity shop actually is? It's funny, I really longed to explore that place, even with that short scene. 😁
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm
I wondered if that was a real curio shop.
It sure is! It is (or was?) in St. Augustine. Below is a link to a photo of the exterior from the 1930's.

I tried using Google Maps / Street view on this address, but couldn't tell much of anything. Presumably the building is still there, as this is a historic district, but I'm in doubts about its being a curiosity shop anymore (?)

As to the name, I guess they overlap (curio/antique), though maybe the former would have also things that are rarities or oddities, but not necessarily old. I'm guessing on that, too.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/csas.00365/

And by the way, on the dance location, looking at the scene more closely, I see the grand ballroom is mostly a painted backdrop. :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I just finished watching A Florida Enchantment. I really enjoyed this gender bending romp!
► Show Spoiler
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:24 am
I just finished watching A Florida Enchantment. I really enjoyed this gender bending romp!
I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this film. I'm glad you liked it.
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:24 am
I've said this before (I think about some scenes from A Fool There Was), but those sorts of indoor scenes where the light is provided by the sun streaming brightly in through a window has that ability to just transport me back to the era. It's so immersive that way.
Yes!!

Glad you enjoyed it. :D I like the screenshot of her contemplating the seeds.

Speaking of which...I wonder what happened to that fourth seed? Left for a sequel, maybe? :) (What if she woke up and discovered the dream was a dream, and the seeds were real, after all?)

dustin@harpodeon.com

Post by dustin@harpodeon.com »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:46 pm
I’ll get some comments out of way concerning things that may be offensive on some level for today’s audiences. Obviously the blackface and racial stereotyping haven’t aged well.
Yes, that’s a detraction without some preparatory comment that we see the racism while white audience at the time were accustomed to it, and while black audiences did object, the white creators never heard them. Usually theatrical screenings include text or a spoken intro to that effect. There’s a whole book on the subject of race and queer identity in A Florida Enchantment called Queering the Color Line.
donnie wrote:
[about Edith Storey’s acting]
I am a big Edith Storey fan—have been since I first saw her in A Florida Enchantment. I’ve recently licensed A Regiment of Two, which is another Sidney Drew and Edith Storey collaboration, and also features a young Anita Stewart when she called Anna Stewart.

And as a male impersonator, I don’t think I’ve seen a better one on the silent screen. She was playing so against her Lillian character that you really believe she turned into a man. A great deal more believable than Gloria Swanson in Danger Girl.
donnie wrote:
[about Sidney Drew’s age]
He was more than twice the age of Storey’s co-star Jane Morrow, a.k.a. Lucille McVeh, when she and Sidney Drew married. And Storey was two years younger than Morrow
donnie wrote:
[about the quality]
Only the first, third, and fifth reels are complete, though only the fourth is missing a significant amount from the start. Strictly speaking the first and third aren’t entirely complete either as they are missing the main title card at the start and the third cuts off a bit too quickly on that last shot. Most screenings of the film just ignore it, which you can until the banker scene that doesn't make any sense if you're not already familiar with the story.
donnie wrote:
The musical score was just thoroughly outstanding. Thank you, Dustin, for using all your resources and talent to assemble such an effective and fitting one. The score of a silent is really vital to me, and I can’t imagine a better one for this film.
You’re very welcome. I have to say, though, that I can never listen to them without wanting to change things. I can’t remember, but I think the only cues I kept from 2008 were The Estudiantina Waltz and The Girl I Left Behind Me, which were both referenced in the book; and the oriental theme from first volume of Sam Fox Moving Picture Music, which I personally thought conveyed the scenes involving the magic seeds perfectly; and Handel’s Sarabanda in D-minor, because it’s a musical reference to Barry Lyndon’s duel theme and I found it funny.

dustin@harpodeon.com

Post by dustin@harpodeon.com »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am
I just assumed it was in 5 reels, and those were the ends of each reel.
You’re right, that was just the practice.

To do a seamless reel change-over requires two projectors and technical proficiency—not to mention split-second reaction time to not miss the cue and accidentally project a bit of the trailing leader. Not such a crime when films didn’t expect seamless change-overs and reels were broken at scene breaks.

In the big movie palaces, it might have been done, but in the 1910s, movie palaces were rather rare. Most people saw films in tiny storefront cinemas that usually only had one projector. There would necessarily be a pause when the reel ended while the projectionist (or, more likely, an unskilled owner and operator) threaded up the next. Continuing cards were a bit of a reassurance that there would be another reel and the audience wouldn’t leave thinking the film was over.

They’re left out of most modern presentations of films, but I figure they were generally expected at the time so they should be kept now. And one did exist on the Ohio nitrate print of A Florida Enchantment (the only surviving nitrate elements, and the ultimate source of every print I’ve seen). It was the continuing in part V card, which let me recreate the others.
donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:40 pm
[about the ballroom]
Yes, that was a set, on Vitagraph’s two-floor studio (number five, if I remember) in Brooklyn. You can see the same ballroom set in several films from 1914. That is the real interior of the Old Curiosity Shop, taken from just inside the door.
donnie wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:38 pm
It sure is! It is (or was?) in St. Augustine. Below is a link to a photo of the exterior from the 1930's.
The building is still there, the exterior is the same and, from what I can tell just from looking at the walls and floor, the interior layout hasn’t been rearranged.

It was an art glass shop when I went there in 2008. It closed when COVID struck. The location’s lately reopened as a soft pretzel restaurant. At the time of filming, it was Dodge’s Old Curiosity Shop. All the names were either blocked out or altered for filming, though. The Spanish Quarter has been virtually unchanged since the eighteenth century, so it all looks the same as it did in the film. St. Augustine Art Glass