The New York Hat - 1912

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
Kitty

The New York Hat - 1912

Post by Kitty »

This is a nice Mary Pickford vehicle. Mary’s mother has just died, and had managed to leave a little sum of money to her. The only problem is that only the minister, (who is played by Lionel Barrymore), knows. The note instructed the minister to tell no one, but buy the girl the finery that she was always denied. If you look closely, you can see that the minister’s mouth forms the words “I knew it!”
The girl’s father is a crotchety old man who is at least 75 and looks more like her grandfather or great grandfather. He always denies her everything she asks for.
All Mary wants in the whole wide world is a new hat. When she asks, her father yells at her and tells her that the old one is fine, and what would you want a new hat for, anyway? Of course, poor Mary is disappointed. When she walks by a shop with women crowding around, she admires a big, pretty hat from the window. Knowing she could never have it, she looks sad. The minister speaks to her for a moment, she walks away, and, remembering the money that her mother left her, he goes right in and buys the hat for her. Of course the gossip starts. Who is the minister buying that expensive hat for?
On Sunday at church, Mary wears the hat. The church ladies immediately think that there is something going on between the two, and they snub Mary when she goes to greet them. The gossip reaches the father, and when Mary gets home from church he questions her angrily and tears up her hat. You really feel such a sadness when you see that poor girl cry, and you can recognize the words “My hat! Daddy, my hat!” come out of her mouth.
All she wanted was a new hat! Heartbroken, Mary runs to the minister’s house crying, and she tells him what happened. In a scene just short of mob-level, the men and women of the church march to the minister’s house. Looking in the window, they see that Mary is in there! Scandalous! They burst through the door, and finally the truth comes out. He shows the note. When the father comes in, he sees the note and realization finally sets in.
I really enjoyed this film. I especially like the part where Mary is admiring her hat in the mirror, and her countenance goes from happy to sad to happy. I can see why she was so well liked.
Rating 7/10
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The New York Hat - 1912

Post by donnie »

This is one of my favorites—Mary Pickford is great in this, as is Lionel Barrymore.

Kitty

Re: The New York Hat - 1912

Post by Kitty »

She's so sweet! I didn't used to think she was that great. I thought she was over-rated as an actress. I realize now that I just hadn't watched the right films, yet!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)