Fanchon the Cricket (1915)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
dachshundonstilts

Fanchon the Cricket (1915)

Post by dachshundonstilts »

This Mary Pickford vehicle was considered lost until 2012. It co-stars Jack Standing and Mary's sister Lottie Pickford, with brother Jack Pickford playing an unnamed minor role. (It's been alleged that Milton Berle and Fred and Adele Astaire appear in bit parts, but this remains unverified.)

The plot is very simple-- boy falls for lonely freespirited girl (Mary) and loses his staid fiancee (Lottie) in the process; boy's father disapproves of girl but a brush with near-tragedy brings them together in the end. The remarkable thing about this film is Mary's onscreen charm, which is positively electric in a way I haven't quite seen in other movies. It ends sort of abruptly with a "non sequitur" shot of Mary walking up to camera through a field of wheat rippling in the wind, then waving and turning back.

Not what I'd call a great film, but the camera loves Mary and she's so much fun to watch that she carries it off. It's also nice to see her playing so many scenes with her sister. The restoration looks good. As with Flicker Alley's companion release, Little Annie Rooney, I would question some choices made for the musical score, which has been described as a "folk-rock" style, but this is rarely much of a distraction.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Re: Fanchon the Cricket (1915)

Post by Kitty »

Thanks for the review! It sounds like I need to watch it if not just for the performance you describe. I like Mary in most if not all things I've seen her in. My favorite was Sparrows that I have seen so far.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I think the difference here is probably the role. She's not playing the typical "wholesome little girl," but an eligible young woman who's not really unwholesome but still very flirty and slightly conniving. She does it well.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

This sounds fascinating. I'm anxious to see it. Below is a trailer from Vimeo. Yes, the musical score, judging from those clips, does not quite suit my taste, but not a deal breaker. Beautiful sharp print and tinting!
https://vimeo.com/295693880

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 am
This Mary Pickford vehicle was considered lost until 2012. It co-stars Jack Standing and Mary's sister Lottie Pickford, with brother Jack Pickford playing an unnamed minor role. (It's been alleged that Milton Berle and Fred and Adele Astaire appear in bit parts, but this remains unverified.)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Milton Berle bit was factual. I'm watching a Dick Cavett episode with Berle, and he mentioned that he was in silent films as a child. He named Perils of Pauline and Tillie's Punctured Romance. I see him on IMDB that he is verified on the cast of Pauline, but he's not listed on Tillie. This is something I never knew, that he was in silent pictures, so this is fascinating to me.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:18 am
I wouldn't be surprised if the Milton Berle bit was factual. I'm watching a Dick Cavett episode with Berle, and he mentioned that he was in silent films as a child. He named Perils of Pauline and Tillie's Punctured Romance. I see him on IMDB that he is verified on the cast of Pauline, but he's not listed on Tillie. This is something I never knew, that he was in silent pictures, so this is fascinating to me.
Yes, that is interesting! That's hard to visualize, Berle in silents, isn't it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Kitty wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:18 am
Yes, that is interesting! That's hard to visualize, Berle in silents, isn't it?
It is!