Little Annie Rooney (1925)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
dachshundonstilts

Little Annie Rooney (1925)

Post by dachshundonstilts »

This is a Mary Pickford film restored in 2015 and just released this month by Flicker Alley. At age 33, Mary plays the little girl character as well as ever. It's an engaging film with fun and pathos, but especially interesting is the score, which is done with a consciously more modern flavor by Andy Gladbach, who was only 22 at the time. The music suits the action well and is only occasionally distracting, as when it brings in a rock beat over jazz dancing.

Annie is the leader of a gang of kids, somewhat paralleled by her older brother's loose ties to an adult gang. Meanwhile, Annie has a crush on an aspiring member of her brother's rival gang, and on top of all this, her father is a cop. The film starts out all fun and frolic, but reaches the point where it almost feels as if it's about to turn into West Side Story. (It doesn't, though.) I really enjoyed this one. It looks great as far as the preservation.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Re: Little Annie Rooney (1925)

Post by Kitty »

That sounds really good. I've heard of it, but have never seen it. Where did you find it?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Re: Little Annie Rooney (1925)

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Pre-ordered from Flicker Alley. 🙂
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)