Mash House Hashers (1915)

This will be where we leave our silent photoplay reviews! Beware of the Spoiler Monster!
donnie

Mash House Hashers (1915)

Post by donnie »

I watched a Sennett short from 1915 "Mash House Hashers" (recently shown on TCM). Hard to tell from the title, but it's set in a boarding house, and involves the typical plot of a young girl who wants to marry one guy, while the strict parents are trying to push her to marry their choice. In the end the sweethearts are able to trick the parents and get married right before their eyes. They do this cleverly with the cooperation of a film company who happen to be shooting some footage nearby.

This one is notable for being the first comedy short to feature Charley Chase in the years before he was known as Charley Chase.

Not a masterpiece, but an enjoyable short with some good comic acting in the mad-dash-about classic Sennett style.
Last edited by donnie on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Re: Silent Shorts

Post by Kitty »

That's cool! Not on YouTube, unfortunately :( sounds interesting.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)