Made for TV Movies

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Made for TV Movies

Post by Kitty »

This is Rod Serling's adaptation of A Christmas Carol, an updated version of the Dickens classic. It was part of a series of films that were created to promote the United Nations.

This is a hard-hitting, still relevant retelling about a man who has never gotten over the loss of his son in the second world war.

You will recognize some of the actors in the story, including Peter Sellers and Robert Shaw. Eva Marie Saint also makes an appearance.

Though this is sobering, it is thought provoking and well worth the watch. It's also not particularly Christmassy, so I'd recommend watching as soon as possible.

It's a bit slow going in the beginning, but it's totally worth the message. One specific scene.... I think you can guess which one made the largest impression on me.

Interestingly, at one point they call the old radio shows "old time radio", which tells you they were calling it that way back in 1964.

Let me know what you think.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gbp1du33l0c&feature=share
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Made for TV Movies

Post by donnie »

I just finished watching this—quite interesting! And yes, very dark and sober, and not very Christmas-y, but certainly very relevant to today. This is quite a piece of work from Rod Serling.

Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:23 pm
One specific scene.... I think you can guess which one made the largest impression on me.
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm really glad you watched this.
donnie wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:45 pm
Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:23 pm
One specific scene.... I think you can guess which one made the largest impression on me.
► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Responses:
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

The House Without a Christmas Tree (1972)

My wife introduced me a few years ago to this made-for-TV Christmas movie, and it has become one of my favorite Christmas specials—if not my favorite of all. I wanted to write down some thoughts that were fresh in my mind after watching again the other night. So here's my review of it (which got too long, but...)

It’s a gentle, low-key story in many ways, and I think that’s caused it to remain more beneath the radar in comparison to other Christmas classics we all know and love. But it has many fans, and a lot of them say it’s their favorite Christmas special ever, and there is good reason for that.

Although there is lots of enjoyable humor and nostalgic Christmas-y goodness to make you smile and laugh, this is really a story about our contradictions and dysfunctions as human beings, and ultimately about the challenges of coping with and overcoming pain and loss. The subtlety and depth of the story impresses me more each time I watch it.

The wonderful script is by Eleanor Perry and is based on a story by Gail Rock. It features masterful performances by Jason Robards as the father and Mildred Natwick as the grandmother, and a wonderful performance by Lisa Lucas as the child, Addie.

The story is skillfully constructed so that understanding of what’s driving the characters becomes steadily clearer throughout. At first you wonder
► Show Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nDjqxqBm4