A place where all classic TV is reborn.
donnie

Re: Shelley Duvall Produced Series

Post by donnie »

Re Sleepy Hollow:
► Show Spoiler
Kitty wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:20 pm
It's funny, Loretta looks sooooo familiar, but I went to her IMDb page, and I don't know what I know her from.
Yes, she does. I remember thinking that when I watched it.

By the way, I was glad to see that the poster made a comment about the musical score.

I know I probably harp too much about the music, but here’s an example:

If you rewatch just this two minutes from here until the soldier enters the room and listen to the music that’s behind the dialogue. And then afterwards if you imagine that scene without the score, just dead silence underneath the words—you’d lose a full 80%, maybe 90%, of the whimsical sweetness of that scene.

And it's even worse, of course, in the case of silents.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:14 pm
I know I probably harp too much about the music....
Nope! It's an important feature, otherwise it wouldn't be there.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

On Faerie Tale Theatre, I watched The Frog Prince, a story which is sometimes called The Princess and the Frog.
► Show Spoiler

https://youtu.be/m10lu4sR7ck
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:09 pm
On Faerie Tale Theatre, I watched The Frog Prince, a story which is sometimes called The Princess and the Frog.
I got a kick out of this one! :D It gets funnier as it goes along, and both Teri Garr's over-the-top princess and, of course, Robin Williams are great. All the actors are good.

I had assumed that these series were kind of primarily aimed at younger viewers, but some of the lines in this one changed my mind. :lol:
Kitty wrote:
I wonder if that is him in the suit?
I wondered about that, too, but the frog seems more slender than Robin Williams. If it's not Williams, he sure does have Williams's moves down.
Kitty wrote:
They also change a whole lot of the story to make it an hour long, too long in my opinion, because there is so much filler.
Some of the conversations do go on a bit long. And the filler is definitely there for laughs.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:51 pm
Kitty wrote:
I got a kick out of this one!
I just listened to this podcast episode of Dark and Twisty Tales that you might be interested in. It's the original story, with an extra detail added at the end.

https://pca.st/episode/37949ecf-5303-46 ... 1a44ba3582

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am
I just listened to this podcast episode of Dark and Twisty Tales that you might be interested in. It's the original story, with an extra detail added at the end.

Thanks! :D This was done well; I liked the narrator.

But what's the deal with the frog being restored by being slammed against a wall rather than kissed?? And those heart bands—probably not the best idea. :shock: :) Anyway, that must have been a heck of a surgical procedure!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:09 pm
Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am

Thanks! :D This was done well; I liked the narrator.

But what's the deal with the frog being restored by being slammed against a wall rather than kissed?? And those heart bands—probably not the best idea. :shock: :)
I'm glad to you liked it!! This is a great example how some of those tales that you *thought* you knew were very different when they were first put in print!