The Dick Van Dyke Show

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Post by Kitty »

Dick Van Dyke has stood the test of time. This show was different, a little ahead of its time, and because of that it's just as funny as it was when it was new. It didn't rely on gimmicks like I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched, but instead of being a cookie cutter sitcom with a father, a mother and two or three tykes running around causing the mishaps, it was the adults who got into trouble. Dick Van Dyke is a comedic genius. His timing was impeccable, and Mary Tyler Moore is at her best in this as Laura, his wife. Carl Reiner's writing didn't hurt either! The added feature of the boss (Carl Reiner), boss's assistant (Richard Deacon, who also happens to be Fred Rutherford in Leave It To Beaver, I love this guy), and the two co-workers (Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam) really make the show stand out among the others.
The best episode of Dick Van Dyke is one in the fifth season, called Coast To Coast Big Mouth, where Laura gets on a quiz show and
► Show Spoiler
(I put this in a spoiler bracket just in case you want to watch it first. It really is a gem.) This is the scene where Laura goes in to apologize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGEOjxtQtWc
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Dick Van Dyke Show

Post by donnie »

An all-time classic scene! Carl Reiner and MTM are both so funny in this one.

One other thing that made this show great was the quality of the writing—some of the best ever. By the way, after Mary Tyler Moore's death, I saw an interview with Dick Van Dyke. In his 90's now, he is still sharp, articulate, and as funny as ever. Of course he had many nice things to say about MTM.

Have you ever seen the Dick Van Dyke Show two parter with Jerry Van Dyke as Rob's brother? That's probably the funniest of all to me.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have seen it... But it was a long time ago. I remember being amazed that it was his real brother. Was that the one where his brother was a pool shark?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, he is a would-be banjo-playing comedian.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's a CG look at the Petrie house, with views not seen on the show. Pretty awesome!!!
https://youtu.be/kPKdOYmGKCM

donnie

Post by donnie »

How about that? :) I wonder where the information came from for the parts not seen on the show? Were those parts of the set actually constructed or just on paper, I wonder?

Such a great show! I recently watched the Twizzle episode from season 1. Have you seen that one?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm
How about that? :) I wonder where the information came from for the parts not seen on the show? Were those parts of the set actually constructed or just on paper, I wonder?

Such a great show! I recently watched the Twizzle episode from season 1. Have you seen that one?
I'm not sure. 'Twizzle' doesn't seem to ring any bells. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »