Hippest, Coolest Shows?

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Hippest, Coolest Shows?

Post by Kitty »

Talking about Laugh-In made me wonder what other shows were hip and cool? That is, which shows did everyone watch, and if you didn't watch them, you were out of the loop? I know that Laugh-In was probably pretty unique, but I'm sure you guys can come up with names of shows that all the kiddos around watched.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Hippest, Coolest Shows?

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Star Trek, hands down and Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, Monty Python's Flying Circus. And maybe should be first, The Twilight Zone, Rod Serling was so hip, maybe he shouldn't have been smoking so much however.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Star Trek, Python, The Twilight Zone...such classics. Yes, "Hip" is Serling's middle name. So retro-cool. I've never really watched Mary Hartman, though.

Speaking of Python, I was once in a Best Buy and saw a newly-released box set of all the episodes. On the shrink wrap had been added a sticker "Now with scenes of gratuitous violence." :lol:

By the way, I love that new Louise avatar! :he:

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I love the Monty Python movies too. I'm a big fan of British humor, when I was a kid there weren't that many TV stations to watch and we got a couple of Canadian stations and they had a lot of the British comedies and there seemed to be no end to the Carry-on movies.

Oh thank you about Louise Brooks, I've always adored her and her attitude towards Hollywood. She certainly could have done more if she wanted to. And I'm opposed to colorization of old films, but I love that picture.

I think we'd be remiss if we didn't mention SNL (Saturday Night Live) it's been on for going on almost 46 years. And it was hip right from the get go and has spawned and showcased so many great comedic talents. And it's still going strong.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:10 am
I love the Monty Python movies too. I'm a big fan of British humor, when I was a kid there weren't that many TV stations to watch and we got a couple of Canadian stations and they had a lot of the British comedies and there seemed to be no end to the Carry-on movies.
Yes, I Iike a lot of the British comedies, too. My favorites are Mr. Bean, :lol: :lol: :lol: and Keeping Up Appearances. I also ran across one on PBS several years ago that aired back in the 70's that I really loved called No, Honestly! I had never heard of Carry-on movies, and had to look that one up! :)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:10 am
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:10 am
Yes, I Iike a lot of the British comedies, too. My favorites are Mr. Bean, :lol: :lol: :lol: and Keeping Up Appearances. I also ran across one on PBS several years ago that aired back in the 70's that I really loved called No, Honestly! I had never heard of Carry-on movies, and had to look that one up! :)
If you like Mr. Bean you might also like Blackadder, 1983-89 it stars Rowin Atkinson and is a hysterical historical comedy. Fawlty Towers 1975-79 with John Cleese was really funny as well. And then there was Red Dwarf a sci-fi comedy, that was the late 1980's early 90's.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah!! I totally forgot about Fawlty Towers and Red Dwarf! I love both those shows. :db: Now Black Adder I've never seen, but have always wanted to, for I've heard good things about it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I know it seems that I've abandoned this thread, but I'm enjoying all the comments!

I love Monty Python (in my opinion, the shows are better than the movies), I've seen a couple Fawlty Towers episodes, and have watched the entire run of Red Dwarf. I have not watched Blackadder, and I'm unsure if I've seen any Mr. Bean, though, of course, I have heard of both. I used to be hugely into British stuff, (I can thank the Beatles for that) and would watch BBC America all the time.
I've seen every episode of the Twilight Zone, and though I have not seen every episode of Star Trek, I've seen enough episodes to know that the original has a charm all its own. I thoroughly enjoy every episode I watch, and there's an atmosphere (there I go again prattling on about atmosphere!) that makes me love it.
Speaking of British TV, have you ever seen a cooking show from the 90s called Two Fat Ladies? It was on PBS, at least that's where I saw it, and they'd cook extremely British, extremely unhealthy foods. But they were cute and funny old ladies, very quirky.
Ah, while I"m here, I'm going to bring up Pipkins, which is a british puppet show from the 70s. I have no idea if it ever aired here in the States, but it is a classic in my mind. Very strange, very right up my alley. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)