The Goldbergs

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

The Goldbergs

Post by Kitty »

The Goldbergs is a very 'different' tv show in directing broadcast in the early 50s. This show was also a radio show that came to televison, about a Jewish family raising their children. I found it different because, it was, well, different! It was filmed like a serious show with no laughter, yet it was supposed to be a comedy. I watched a few episodes of it, but because it was on a public station, it was bad quality in sound and hard to understand. Nonetheless, I think it would still be of interest to some on this board! What are your thoughts on The Goldbergs?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Goldbergs

Post by donnie »

I've only seen one episode of this, and am very interested in seeing more. It does indeed seem unique. One thing that makes it interesting is that it is outside my experience. As a Southerner, I am probably not as able to appreciate some of the intricacies of the humor as well as a person of Jewish heritage—but I remember that the characters did seem endearing. I think it was a very popular show back in its day, wasn't it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think that's right... It was on for almost 30 years! There was also a film, a play, and a Broadway musical. I'd say it was!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mair0613

Post by Mair0613 »

I soooo thought you were talking about another Goldberg show. Lol

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mair0613 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:54 pm
I soooo thought you were talking about another Goldberg show. Lol
No, not that one. The modern one doesn't look like something that's for me. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

There's another one? Is it a sitcom?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, it's a sitcom that started in 2013

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just discovered that Gertrude Berg, the mother on The Goldbergs, won the first ever Emmy for lead actress in a comedy series the first year it was on. I think that's special. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, indeed!