Star Trek - The Original Series

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Star Trek - The Original Series

Post by Kitty »

I find this quirky show pretty entertaining! Some of the episodes that I especially liked (in no particular order except in chronological, because I used an episode list to jog my memory) are the following:

1. This Side of Paradise (in which spores on a planet make everyone's personality change)
2. The Apple (in which a computer-god type thing rules a society)
3. Journey To Babel (in which Jane Wyatt is Spock's mother)
4. The Trouble With Tribbles (who doesn't love that episode?)
5. Return To Tomorrow (in which an ancient disembodied race want to take over the crew's bodies)
6. Ensignment: Earth (In which the character Gary Seven appears. He has a few qualities suspiciously similar
to Doctor Who. Wait for a very young Teri Garr as Seven's 'secretary'. Did you know that this was meant as
a pilot for a new series that never came to fruition? This is probably my favorite episode.)
7. Spock's Brain (in which Spock's brain proves extremely covetable)
8. And The Children Shall Lead (where children are left orphaned on a planet and seem not to be affected)
9. Is There No Truth In Beauty? (where a telepathic lady deceives the crew)
10. Plato's Stepchildren (in which there is a friendly little-person)
11. The Empath (where an empath can absorb injuries of others)
12. Elaan of Troyius (green guy reminds me of Martin Short. Also, I think the actress who plays the princess is
what makes the episode stand out.)
13. Requiem for Methuselah (in which a man has many unpublished things created by renowned people)
14. The Way To Eden (some super weird hippie action going on here. Watch if only for the bad... VERY
cringeworthy songs played by one of the hippies. Totally reminds me of Beef from Phantom of the Paradise.)

Well, there ya have it! I may write a blog post of my opinions on the characters at some point. What episodes did you like from the original series?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Star Trek - The Original Series

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the list! :D It's been so long since I watched some of these that I can't clearly place them in my mind. I do remember Requiem for Methuselah—that's a great one, and The Way to Eden is a hoot! Dig Spock's jamming session with that cool circular string instrument. :)

I can't remember seeing the Gary Seven one. I'll have to check that out.

Who doesn't love the Tribble episode? Me. I'm sure I'm the only one on earth, but I just never did care too much for that one.

Some of favorites of mine that come to mind (sorry I don't know the titles):

- The one with the Horta and her underground silicon eggs
- The one with the creepy Friendly Angel controlling the children
- The one where the whole crew slows down except for Kirk
- That doomsday machine thing the ship gets sucked into.

Do you like any of those?

I'm sure there are some others I'll think of later.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I forgot about that one where everyone slows down except for Kirk! And the creepy friendly angel one is number 8 on my list.

The tribble one is funny to me. It also sticks out because there is an episode on Futurama called Problem With Poplars.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 pm
And the creepy friendly angel one is number 8 on my list.
Ah! I think I was confusing that title and description with the one where the adults on a planet have all died and the children are unaffected by the disease until they pass puberty. (Bump bump on the head! Bump bump, bump bump!) That’s a pretty good one, too.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I loved the original Star Trek. I was in high school when they were first run. Now they look so cheesy and all the hot babes in skimpy outfits speak volumes about the times.

I had to go look at an episode list, I didn't remember there were so many, 79 episodes, and I pretty much loved them all. I can't remember a klinker in the bunch. We have a couple of channels that still show the original episodes along with all the later series.

A few of the ones I like alot.

I Mudd (Harry Mudd played by Roger C. Carmel)
Space Seed (KHAN!!)
Shore Leave ( they go to a planet and it starts out with Dr. McCoy seeing the White Rabbit and Alice from Wonderland)
The City on The Edge of Forever ( they go back in time, Joan Collins is Kirks love interest)
I also loved Assignment: Earth (and on a random note I've met Terry Garr in person)
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 am
I also loved Assignment: Earth (and on a random note I've met Terry Garr in person)
Really! When was that, and what was she like? Very interesting!

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:04 am
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 am
Really! When was that, and what was she like? Very interesting!
I met her and Shirley MacLaine in our little town, they were filming a movie, Waiting For The Light 1990. They did a scene down our two block main street. Our neighbors at the time owned one of the stores downtown and I got to hang out all day in their store and got to see Terri Garr and Shirley MacLaine off and on all day long. I remember them both as very charming and personable women. Neither one of them minded us local yokels gushing over them. :lol: I do remember telling Teri Garr what a scream I thought she was in Young Frankenstein and she was very happy about that and agreed it was a great movie! And I'm I sure I must have said something to Shirley MacLaine about her standout debut performance in Hitchcock's The Trouble With Harry and a lot of her other early movies. Must have made both of their days. :lol: :roll:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

What a cute story!!! I think I'd be too shy to say anything at all.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I can be very chatty at times! and it helped having an in with one of the shopkeepers.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

This show was my absolute favorite as a kid. There was a web series in recent years called Star Trek Continues that did an amazing recreation of the style of the original series and made 11 new episodes. Well worth checking out on YouTube or at startrekcontinues.com.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)