The Tonight Show Starring Jack Paar

Kitty

The Tonight Show Starring Jack Paar

Post by Kitty »

This is the full audio (no video, unfortunately) of the episode of The Tonight Show where Jack Paar walks off the set after a speech about the censoring of a joke he told the night before.
While I think that the joke that was cut out is totally harmless and that Jack Paar is right in being surprised that his joke was cut out, I feel that there must have been bigger battles to fight and a better way to do what he did, especially since he came back five weeks later after this stunt. His walk out is around 10:40 or so.
https://youtu.be/V3dVEzLIQYQ

This is what all the hubbub was about.

An English lady, while visiting Switzerland, was looking for a room, and she asked the schoolmaster if he could recommend any to her. He took her to see several rooms, and when everything was settled, the lady returned to her home to make the final preparations to move.

When she arrived home, the thought suddenly occurred to her that she had not seen a “W.C.” [water closet, a euphemism for toilet] around the place. So she immediately wrote a note to the schoolmaster asking him if there were a “W.C.” around. The [Swiss] schoolmaster was a very poor student of English, so he asked the [Swiss] parish priest if he could help in the matter. Together they tried to discover the meaning of the letters “W.C.,” and the only solution they could find for the letters was “Wayside Chapel.” The schoolmaster then wrote to the English lady the following note:

Dear Madam:
I take great pleasure in informing you that the W.C. is situated nine miles from the house you occupy, in the center of a beautiful grove of pine trees surrounded by lovely grounds. It is capable of holding 229 people and it is open on Sunday and Thursday only. As there are a great number of people and they are expected during the summer months, I would suggest that you come early: although there is plenty of standing room as a rule. You will no doubt be glad to hear that a good number of people bring their lunch and make a day of it; while others who can afford to go by car arrive just in time. I would especially recommend that your ladyship go on Thursday when there is a musical accompaniment. It may interest you to know that my daughter was married in the W.C. and it was there that she met her husband. I can remember the rush there was for seats. There were ten people to a seat ordinarily occupied by one. It was wonderful to see the expression on their faces. The newest attraction is a bell donated by a wealthy resident of the district. It rings every time a person enters. A bazaar is to be held to provide plush seats for all the people, since they feel it is a long felt need. My wife is rather delicate, so she can’t attend regularly. I shall be delighted to reserve the best seat for you if you wish, where you will be seen by all. For the children, there is a special time and place so that they will not disturb the elders. Hoping to have been of service to you, I remain,
Sincerely,
The Schoolmaster
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Tonight Show Starring Jack Paar

Post by donnie »

This is quite interesting. I wish the video of it were available. I had heard about Paar walking off, but was unaware of the details. I think the joke is funny and quite innocent, but I agree with you that maybe his reaction was a little extreme. According to Hugh Downs (was that the man speaking after he left?), he had a history of being temperamental and impulsive. Maybe the 30 hours without sleep didn't help his judgment. :)

Kitty

Re: The Tonight Show Starring Jack Paar

Post by Kitty »

I wondered who that was who was speaking. I pictured Steve Allen, but obviously it wasn't him! 😄
Regarding the joke, I was shocked, SHOCKED that THAT was the joke. That's like one of the first jokes I remember learning in elementary school, (which, by the way, was also a church). One of our teachers told it to us.
I saw a Dick Cavett episode where Jack Paar tells his side of the story, and he said that an NBC executive had handed him the story. He did it because he knew it would get a laugh and, as he says, the night hadn't gone so well. He also denies crying, saying that he has that kind of wavering voice when he gets emotional. He should have just owned up to it. It would have taken the fun out of the jokes that everyone would tell about his crying.
I got the feeling that he was an impulsive sensitive type when I saw him on Johnny Carson one time.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)