Guy Lombardo Program

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Guy Lombardo Program

Post by Kitty »

I figure I'd post this since it's been a topic of conversation. I really like this!

It reminds me of a really pleasant memory that doesn't start too pleasant. When we first moved to Florida in my late teens, we picked a church that I wasn't particularly fond of. The pastor creeped me out, so I didn't want to go into service. My family didn't force me to go in, though. Instead, I sat in the car and turned to the AM radio station and listened to some amazing big band music. The sky was blue, from the window I watched the birds flying to and fro, and I subsequently had more fun and was happier that morning than in all the years I'd gone to church combined. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I don't know who it was that was playing on the radio. The only music from that era I'd been familiar with was mostly The Andrews Sisters and Frank Sinatra. I'd been into old time radio for a few years now, but it was mainly the dramas and family comedies that they sold on tape or the radio station that I'd been lucky enough to pick up when I lived in NJ (I believe it was a Canadian station.)

Back to this Lombardo video. I really like this singer guy. So far I particularly like the songs Sweet Sue and Slow Boat To China. I'm currently at the time stamp where he is singing Frankie and Johnnie. The laughing seems a bit out of place. I find this a super sad song and not funny at all! Maybe it's the faces he's making in order to lighten the mood.

I am loving the song "Get Out Those Old Records".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEA-X0Fo-0&t=1s
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Guy Lombardo Program

Post by donnie »

That's a wonderful memory! Isn't it interesting how just one experience of a few minutes on one particular day like that can make such an impression on us.

That's interesting what you say about Frankie and Johnnie. I had kind of thought the same thing the first time I saw it. There is a mismatch between the words and the way it's presented and received here, that's for sure. I think probably what was going on there is that they were making an effort to "lighten" the song up as something appropriate to dance to rather than presenting it as a tragic ballad (which in fact it is). I think in general, the Lombardo band made an effort to stick with lighthearted music and pretty much avoided the heavy stuff.