Petticoat Junction

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
Kitty

Petticoat Junction

Post by Kitty »

I really liked that show when I watched it on TVLand. I didn't remember much about the show, so today I'm watching it on the Roku, and I watched the first episode. It's very funny! They use the train like it's a taxi or something! And one of the daughters drives it sometimes. They act like the daughters are very young, but they look like they're 27. :lol: This episode was about the head of the train company in the big city comes to visit Hooterville and is appalled how the train run. It's funny! I am loving these charming characters.

Oh, and I forgot to add that apparently the theme song had no lyrics at first!

P. S. S. - It's in black and white, too!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Petticoat Junction

Post by donnie »

That's interesting. I like this show as well, but I don't remember having seen any of the very early episodes you're describing. I know they changed the actress that plays Billie Jo at one point. The later one was Meredith McRae—can't remember who the earlier one was.

I liked Sam Drucker's store and the people of Hooterville and of course the Cannonball. :) It's two engineers were featured a lot in the ones I saw. Was the appalled railroad boss Homer Bedlow? He was always making trouble on the later ones (I think that was his name.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes it was! He changed his mind and decided he loved Hooterville and let it go by the fourth episode. I guess the writers changed their minds later in the series.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Was he played by the slender actor with glasses and kind of a sharp, irascible voice? I don't remember the name of that character actor, but he was in a lot of things.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The first and second episodes they sent Homer Bedlow (the man you describe) but he ends up loving the place in the end of the second episode and gives up. In the next two episodes the president Norman Curtis comes thinking he can do better in shutting down the place. They mistaken him for a hobo because he was dropped down a hill, and therefore is dirty and has a ripped suit. On top of it, his secretary forgot to put money in those clothes (weird excuse) and he doesn't correct them but eats their food and decides to do work for them instead. He can't call out because they don't have a working phone and he told the helicopter man to come back in a week. He has the best time in the town and is so happy that in the next episode he comes back posing as a hobo again to have the same experience as before. By this time he has given up the idea of shutting down the train all together.

donnie

Post by donnie »

That sounds pretty good! I'll have to watch those sometime.