Dick Cavett

Kitty

Re: Dick Cavett

Post by Kitty »

This one's going here. Groucho Marx singing Father's Day on the Dick Cavett Show.

https://youtu.be/e0Dt9q8bkqg
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D That's great!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Unfortunately, I can't find a clip of this 11/5/71 episode featuring Florence Henderson, Sid Ceasar, Jack Klugman, and Robert Shaw, but this is the first time I'd ever seen Sid Caesar in action. He was fantastic! I could see a glimpse of his talent.

This was the first time I'd ever seen Florence Henderson outside of The Brady Bunch, too. She was entertaining!

Jack Klugman was normal, but Robert Shaw was an odd one.

Memorable quote from this episode: I seldom strike a lady, and I always tip my hat before I do. - Dick Cavett :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The part with Maximillian Schell is interesting, because they bring up a random girl from the audience and make her 'act', to prove a point that Schell is trying to make that anyone can act. I don't think this is acting, anyway, although he believes that it is. I don't think it's acting, because it's reality that Dick and Priscilla Solomon from Chicago are meeting for the first time. This episode also has the very adorable Sally Field, Duke Ellington, and Dr. Jack Oliver. I don't know who Jack Oliver is, yet, because I'm only at the Sally Field Part :lol:. I mostly just wanted to share the Max Schell part, because I always find it a fascinating thing when shows bring up regular people out of the audience. I can't help but wonder where they are today and so on. The interview with Max starts shortly before the 6 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKszAEkoQ68

donnie

Post by donnie »

I watched the Schell segment.

Wow, that’s a pretty inflammatory statement about women, even his "corrected" version. :roll: From a woman’s point of view, what do you think about that? I think I would be offended by it, especially the “conquered” part. Maybe there were indeed 5,000 waiting for him at the airport, and not for welcoming purposes. :D The whole ensuing conversation about women being dumb, etc., seemed kind of dumb and meandering itself.

I’m not sure the acting experiment particularly proved anything, either, but I liked the way Dick helped make the poor girl feel comfortable. I don’t think I could have done as well as she did. That’s certainly something she never forgot, I’ll wager! I wonder how old she would be now.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I may watch the Duke Ellington part later.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:43 pm
I watched the Schell segment.

Wow, that’s a pretty inflammatory statement about women, even his "corrected" version. :roll: From a woman’s point of view, what do you think about that? I think I would be offended by it, especially the “conquered” part. Maybe there were indeed 5,000 waiting for him at the airport, and not for welcoming purposes. :D The whole ensuing conversation about women being dumb, etc., seemed kind of dumb and meandering itself.

I’m not sure the acting experiment particularly proved anything, either, but I liked the way Dick helped make the poor girl feel comfortable. I don’t think I could have done as well as she did. That’s certainly something she never forgot, I’ll wager! I wonder how old she would be now.
Unfortunately, I think the copyright police got to this video, as there is no longer sound. I think they must do it periodically, or something, because it was fine last night, yet there is a comment from 8 months ago complaining about there being no sound.

Anyway, I think you're commenting about Max's comments. He was sort of a weird guy and tried to take over the whole show. I didn't really like that. I don't remember now who said the conquered thing, but it was just a male chauvinistic thing to say. Some people are just idiotic when it comes to that.

Regarding the 'dumb' conversation, Dick sometimes asked weird questions. Maybe he thought he'd trap him into something, since he obviously had a bit of a language barrier. Either way, as I said, Dick sometimes asked weird or unproductive questions that even he didn't know where he was going. :lol:

There was an interview with Grace Slick that he did where she either was super cranky or did not like him at all and seemed annoyed with his questions. A lot of women, especially activist or feminist women seemed to have this rude type of attitude toward him. I'm going on a tangent, but I think you get the picture.

I think Priscilla Solomon of Chicago would be 78 now.... Because I looked her up and there is a LinkedIn with her name, and her schooling and age and location seems to line up perfectly.

donnie

Post by donnie »

The sound is working for me now as of 8:33 pm—strange... Maybe it's just a technical issue?

78—how about that. :)

Yes, it is interesting how Cavett seemed to click with some people but not others. He could really ask unusual questions that brought out interesting things in a guest at times, and then other times, like here, it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Of course, I think that's true to some extent with any host, just more so maybe with Cavett. Johnny Carson was a real master, but once in a great while, even he would flop. About the worst time I ever saw him struggle was once when he had Muhammad Ali on. Ali, for some reason, seemed (like Grace Slick) to be in a really bad mood, and finally he just sulled up and wouldn't say anything, leaving Carson to do a one man show.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm
The sound is working for me now as of 8:33 pm—strange... Maybe it's just a technical issue?
It's all garbled for me, as if they are under water.
donnie wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Johnny Carson was a real master, but once in a great while, even he would flop. About the worst time I ever saw him struggle was once when he had Muhammad Ali on. Ali, for some reason, seemed (like Grace Slick) to be in a really bad mood, and finally he just sulled up and wouldn't say anything, leaving Carson to do a one man show.
I haven't seen that one. That sounds interesting. Muhammed Ali was great with Dick Cavett. I saw him a couple times on there---even one right after he lost a fight and had his jaw wired shut.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 pm
There was an interview with Grace Slick that he did where she either was super cranky or did not like him at all and seemed annoyed with his questions. A lot of women, especially activist or feminist women seemed to have this rude type of attitude toward him. I'm going on a tangent, but I think you get the picture.
Is this interview anywhere on YouTube, or maybe another video sharing site? I'd love to see it.

The only other time I remember Grace being in a bad mood during an interview was near the end of one with Howard Stern in 1998 or so. She seemed really annoyed, and in this instance I can't really fault her for that because the interview with Stern was just... a farce. Pretty much all of the questions were about sex and drugs (I'm sure she hasn't heard questions like that before :roll: ) and it got really cringy at the end when Howard demonstrated "butt bongo" on Grace... in front of her daughter... yeah...

I think she must've just unforunately been having a bad day when she did that interview with Cavett that time - I can't imagine him ruining it like Howard Stern did!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Is this interview anywhere on YouTube, or maybe another video sharing site? I'd love to see it.
You know what? I think it was actually Joan Baez. Sorry for the mistake.