Dick Cavett

Kitty

Dick Cavett

Post by Kitty »

Have I really not created a thread about Dick Cavett yet? Oh, my! I love Dick Cavett, especially his early program from the late 60s, early 70s. I like him much better than Johnny Carson. I feel that Cavett was super genuine, respectful, very knowledgeable, without coming off as pompous at all.

The episode I am currently watching has Jack Parr as the guest. Honestly, I have only heard Jack Parr's name, never seen him in action, only seen very brief pictures of him, and could never have picked him out in a lineup.
Well he is HILARIOUS! Oh, my goodness! They showed a clip of him doing an old monologue, and I was actually laughing out loud. His interview is really hilarious and entertaining. Incidentally, Jack Parr is the one who gave Dick Cavett his first job, so there is a great level of familiarity between the two. It's fantastic.
Oh, and one more thing. My first impression was that Parr looks and acts very similarly to Johnny. I've changed my mind from watching the interview.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Dick Cavett

Post by donnie »

Cool thread! I love Dick Cavett! He did indeed have those qualities you name, and his shows never failed to be interesting.

I don't know much of anything about Jack Paar, either, other than just his name, and that he was pretty big on early TV. That episode sounds interesting.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm glad you know him! I've had to explain who Dick Cavett is so many times to people. 🙂
Yes, I tried to look up the episode, but it doesn't seem to be on YouTube. Jack Parr was the first host of The Tonight Show, if you didn't know.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, I didn’t know that, or had forgotten. I remember there was some famous incident of Jack Parr crying on TV—don’t know what that was about.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Actually, it's funny you mention that, because John Daly from What's My Line made a reference to that on an episode I watched the other day. I don't know what he was talking about either.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Coincidentally, I was watching a clip from a Cavett show back a couple of weeks ago. He had a famous run-in with a famous writer on one show—Norman Mailer, I believe. Mailer was being a horse's rear end, and Cavett came back at him. I'll see if I can find that.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's the clip i was referring to above. Even the gentlemanly Mr. Cavett had had enough at one point. :lol:
Norman Mailer Gore Vidal Feud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8m9vDRe8fw

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: That was great! I wish I could be so quick as that, and still be classy at the same time. :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 pm
:lol: That was great! I wish I could be so quick as that, and still be classy at the same time. :D
I saw part of an interview with Cavett done many years after this incident, and he was still classy about it, saying he bore no dislike for Mailer, etc. I have no idea what they were talking about here, but it was certainly a very interesting clash. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I find it amazing how many times Dick Cavett expresses that it is the first time meeting a guest. Imagine the first meeting with someone being publicly and recorded. It's just an interesting thought to me.