The Name's the Same

Kitty

The Name's the Same

Post by Kitty »

Have you had a chance to watch this? It's interesting to watch because it's a very early example of television. It's a panel of three people guessing what the contestant's name is. Their name might be a thing like A. Fly or I. Kiss, or it may be the same name as a famous person. At the end they have a celebrity come on and the panelists guess a person they wish they were, like Santa Claus. It's kind of cool, because the panelists were people I only very vaguely knew of, so this is a chance for me to become familiar with more old celebrities! I couldn't find the episode I watched when I looked for it on YouTube, but I'll keep looking for future episodes that I watch, so I can have a good example of an early episode like it.
The sponsors on this episode was Bendix perfect pair washer and dryer and also Swanson frozen chicken pot pies. I love seeing these old commercials!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Name's the Same

Post by donnie »

No, I've not heard of that one. It sounds like a rather strange concept, but interesting. Yes, I like seeing the old commercials, too—sometimes as much or more than the program. :-)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 pm
No, I've not heard of that one. It sounds like a rather strange concept, but interesting. Yes, I like seeing the old commercials, too—sometimes as much or more than the program. :-)
It is kind of a strange concept! I read about the show, and what I saw said that it didn't enjoy the popularity of What's My Line or I've Got A Secret, which was made by the same people, because it was on the newer station ABC whereas the others were on the veteran station CBS.
The old commercials are so cool because they're made almost as a part of the show. It's especially cool when the host does the ads for them, rather than the pre-recorded commercials. I love this special chunk of history.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'll definitely have to watch an episode of that. I wonder if they brought back that old type of ad done by the host, if it would be effective today. It probably would! We are so used to pre-recorded annoying commercials, we've just learned to tune them out (well, at least we try).

Some of the older situation comedies would use a pre-recorded commercial done by the characters. Have you seen any of those?
Dick Van Dyke Joy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIDS1cGUI8

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've seen this very one, and I'm pretty sure I've seen one with Lucy and Desi.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It's pretty neat---I am watching the very first episode ever broadcasted, December 5, 1951. Nothing of note so far, except maybe there was an unusually long commercial before the show even commenced, from the sponsor which was Johnson Wax. ☺️

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

On another episode, there was a bit of an interesting moment---to me at least. A little boy was the contestant this time. I hadn't seen the name of the contestant, as I was not looking at the screen at the time. The direction they were going in was that it was a political figure. As they were at the end of questioning this was the dialogue.

"Were you elected yesterday?"
"Yes."
"Are you Ike Eisenhower?"
"Yes!"

I thought it was pretty interesting!! 'Elected yesterday'. It was kind of surreal. ☺️