What's My Line?

Kitty

What's My Line?

Post by Kitty »

Today, February 2, 2018, is What's My Line's Anniversary. It debuted on this day in 1950! I just got cable today, and there is a channel called BUZZR. Have you heard of it? It's like Gameshow Network the way it used to be. They even kept in the great commercials in this and other gameshows on the channel.

One observation I made today is that the contestants don't even need to show up... John Daly answers practically all the questions for them!! I suppose this is because of time constraints and the fact the answers don't come as quickly from the contestants.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: What's My Line

Post by donnie »

That BUZZR channel sounds great! I don't think our cable company has it.

I love John Daly. I didn't realize that he was really the spark that made that program work so well until I saw some with another moderator. The ones from the 70's, even though many of the same panelists are there, just aren't quite as good without Daly.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've seen the ones in color from the 70s. I remember specifically one (maybe late 60s?) Where the person only could write upside down and backwards. I did that for so long in my notebooks for fun after I saw that episode. Wish I still had those marble notebooks that I used to draw in and write stories. Got lost in the move from NJ to Florida. Poop!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had some sketchbooks back from when I used to dabble in art that I lost somehow. Still looking for those...

Upside down and backwards...sounds kind of difficult!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

On What's My Line they were advertising Enden shampoo, "$1.50, no tax". Why no tax? Did there not used to be tax and everything like there is now? I really need to know the answer to this. I keep thinking about it! :lol:. This is such a foreign concept for me.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I don't know. I guess there was sales tax then, as there is now, at least in most states. Maybe the manufacturer had some kind of deal where they allowed the retailer to charge a flat $1.50 in all cases and absorbed whatever the tax was themselves.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

They totally should have adopted the song they perform at the end for their theme.
Sandy Gamory Calypso Tribute
https://youtu.be/kg-bbB7MH6s

donnie

Post by donnie »

:-) That's pretty neat. Hard to hear Calypso music without it putting a smile on your face. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's so true! It's just fun.

donnie

Post by donnie »

If you haven't seen this one, you MUST watch it—funniest WML ever!
Nudist Camp Owner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE7A4UFY0II