The Match Game

Kitty

The Match Game

Post by Kitty »

Love love love this show! Gene Rayburn is the best! I've seen every episode that Gameshow Network had on rotation.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Match Game

Post by donnie »

Alas, this has never been one of my favorites—it's ok if there's nothing else on. I just found Gene Rayburn to be a little irritating, ditto with several of the celebrities, as well as the silly double entendre questions. I'm glad you like it. :) Apparently, a lot of other people did, too, because it stayed on quite awhile.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It had a couple reincarnations, too, and as far as I know, is still a staple of Gameshow Network's programming despite the crappy direction the channel has gone in recent years.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm
It had a couple reincarnations, too, and as far as I know, is still a staple of Gameshow Network's programming despite the crappy direction the channel has gone in recent years.
It is the 70's version of TMG I'm referring to (the ones with Charles Nelson Reilly, et al.)—the earlier one may have been more to my liking, not sure—I can't remember watching one of the original ones.

What do you mean by the direction the Gameshow Network has gone in? I ask because our cable company has never provided that channel, unfortunately, so I'm not really that familiar with it other than seeing shows taken off it on YouTube.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The 70s version is the one they show on Gameshow Network. I've only seen a few earlier ones because of the wonder of YouTube.
What I mean about the direction Gameshow Network went is that they used to show old ones, like really old ones such as Beat the Clock and Truth or Consequences. Now most of their programming is Gameshow Network originals or things from the 90s or even later.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, that seems to be what a lot of those channels do, gravitate away from the really good old stuff.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's a little nugget of info that I just thought I'd share! Do you know that Kirstie Alley was on The Match Game before she became famous? Yes! She was an aspiring actress, but said her profession was interior designer. I have seen pretty much every episode of Match Game '78, and when that one came on I was so confused.

Cool, huh?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember seeing that somewhere! Don't remember if it was a clip or just a photo, or what. It would be interesting to see a list of the future-famous that turned up on game shows!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

Oh, wow! Cool! :D